cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should my second step in Rebuilding - focus on AAOA, CL, or more CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should my second step in Rebuilding - focus on AAOA, CL, or more CC?

Thank you everyone. I made some bad credit mistakes a few years ago that have ruined my score. In the pas few weeks, I learned how to start rebuilding from this forum. But I am now stuck on what my second/third steps should be. PROBLEM: I have 600 score now, and need to get to 670-700 so I can refinance my home at an okay rate. 

I have no Credit Card and have a 600 score. So in the past 2 weeks, I have started the following: 

1) Got a secured card from Cap One

2) Ask my wife to add me as AU on her oldest CC (10+ years, $3k CL)

3) GW-ing baddies  (unfortunately no response so far)

QUESTION: What should I do next? 

a) Get more accounts - by opening more Revolving accounts e.g. scured card/ store card (low CL, but give me more accounts on file) 

b) Get higher CL - ask family to add me as AU, at the expense of having younger accounts on file

c) Get a new scured Loan - but I have a mortgage already so this may have minimal impact

d) Wait/Garden --? 

e) The only saving grace is that I have a good income (130k) - is there anything else I can do? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What should my second step in Rebuilding - focus on AAOA, CL, or more CC?

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you everyone. I made some bad credit mistakes a few years ago that have ruined my score. In the pas few weeks, I learned how to start rebuilding from this forum. But I am now stuck on what my second/third steps should be. PROBLEM: I have 600 score now, and need to get to 670-700 so I can refinance my home at an okay rate. 

I have no Credit Card and have a 600 score. So in the past 2 weeks, I have started the following: 

2) Ask my wife to add me as AU on her oldest CC (10+ years, $3k CL) Instead of AU, see if they will make it a joint account instead.

a) Get more accounts - by opening more Revolving accounts e.g. scured card/ store card (low CL, but give me more accounts on file) Yes, get a couple more bank cards going - sooner rather than later.

b) Get higher CL - ask family to add me as AU, at the expense of having younger accounts on file No. forget the whole AU thing and build on your own.

c) Get a new scured Loan - but I have a mortgage already so this may have minimal impact Only if you have no auto or student loans.

d) Wait/Garden --? 

e) The only saving grace is that I have a good income (130k) - is there anything else I can do? Keep your UTI% in check.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, found out that Chase (my wife's oldest CC) stopped offering Joint CC option. So any critique if I do these following steps?

1) Apply for BOA and Discover secured card

2) Ask wife to add me as Joint account on her BOA rewards card - Question: Could I be denied given my low score? 

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

2) Ask my wife to add me as AU on her oldest CC (10+ years, $3k CL) Instead of AU, see if they will make it a joint account instead.

a) Get more accounts - by opening more Revolving accounts e.g. scured card/ store card (low CL, but give me more accounts on file) Yes, get a couple more bank cards going - sooner rather than later.

b) Get higher CL - ask family to add me as AU, at the expense of having younger accounts on file No. forget the whole AU thing and build on your own.

c) Get a new scured Loan - but I have a mortgage already so this may have minimal impact Only if you have no auto or student loans.

d) Wait/Garden --? 

e) The only saving grace is that I have a good income (130k) - is there anything else I can do? Keep your UTI% in check.

And, how many bank CC is enough? Should I aim for 2-3, or more? 

Message 3 of 10
mamatried
Contributor

I applied for Discover It today and was denied, similar scores to yours. I called and asked about secured and they told me they only offer that to some people. Boo.

12/23/14: 536 | 4/4/18 714
MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mamatried wrote:
I applied for Discover It today and was denied, similar scores to yours. I called and asked about secured and they told me they only offer that to some people. Boo.

Some people seem to report that they get the Secured Discover Card offer only after apping for the Discover Student card. I have not tried that yet, I'm waiting another couple of months before I try Discover.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try Cap One prequal.  You can also try for the Sportsman's Guide, Camping World, and Total Rewards Visas all via SCT.  I've gotten all three in the past week.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, found out that Chase (my wife's oldest CC) stopped offering Joint CC option. So any critique if I do these following steps?

1) Apply for BOA and Discover secured card

2) Ask wife to add me as Joint account on her BOA rewards card - Question: Could I be denied given my low score? 

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

d) Wait/Garden --? 

And, how many bank CC is enough? Should I aim for 2-3, or more? 

3 bank cards is whats recommended for rebuilding. You usually get a score boost immediately for establishing the first two, the third may initially cost a handfull of points but will help out over the long haul.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks EVERYONE for your help. Road to credit rebuld is lonely, glad to get help here.

For Discover, I am not sure if it means anything. But the Discvoer site says I'm pre-qualified (https://www.discovercard.com/application/fmo?execution=e1s1). I also got a mail-in pre-qualify frm them last month. I am tempted to try, but afraid of being denied.

And, should I wait to apply for Joint account card, after I get the secured cards?

Message 8 of 10
mamatried
Contributor

Discover said I was pre-qualified as well. :.. (

12/23/14: 536 | 4/4/18 714
MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the discover pre-qual site, if it gives you a range of possible interest rates its not a legit prequal offer, however if it shows just a single possible rate then you should be good to go.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.