Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What steps do I need to take

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What steps do I need to take

Few years ago I went through some hard times (as most people have/are currently) and my score isn't......so great.  Being only 24yrs old I'm kind of lost when it comes to rebuilding my credit.  I have two loans through my local back (car/personal), Car is in 100% good standing and set to be done next year, and personal load was paid off early last year with no problems or late payments. 

Around 2008 I had a girlfriend who basically took advantage of me and left me out ot pay everything.  I had a CC debt of $600 that was charged off however PAID, a account with paypal that I owe $171.66, and a Time Warner Cable account that I owe $644.00, I also had a CC Debt that was charge off that was PAID too.  Basically she ran the bills up and fail to tell me she was not paying them and would hide the statments from me.  Problem is until last year I was not aware of the two accounts still owed on.  I do take responsibility for not getting around to them sooner. 

Time Warner Balance: $644.00 Credit Management Dalas Tx

Paypal Balance $171.66 ER Solutuions INC, Renton WA

"The Ex" was kicked to the crub quickly when I did find out she fail to pay most of the bills as we aggreed upon.  I would like to get everything in order to be able to possible get a house within the next two years and need some help.  Can I just pay the accounts off and it will bring my score up or do I need to pay then ask for them to be removed?  I have the mail address to the Paypal and will be sending a check in for part of the amount to begain paying it off however Im unable to locate anything for Credit Management.

Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

Re: What steps do I need to take

I am new to this process, but I think I have read on here that if you have a collection, it doesn't matter whether it's paid or not, it still scores the same, so I'm guessing that paying it off will not help your score.  However, you could try and get them to agree to a PFD or try sending a GW to those accounts that have been paid asking them to delete.  However, if these are the only accounts on your CR, I'm not sure that you would want them all deleted.  Maybe someone in the know better than me can give you more helpful advice, but that's my two cents.  Good luck!!

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 2 of 6
vizon
Regular Contributor

Well, since you were not making these purchases and they were in your name.. why not dispute them? File a police report against the ex, send it to all the creditors, and get these off your account. If these genuinely aren't yours, you shouldn't be help liable..

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would NOT recommend disputing on the basis that you did not walk into the store and use the card.  If you gave the card to her, you are liable.

Your concerns over paying the debt most likely will not be limited only to FICO scoring.  If your intent is to purchase a home, the lendor will most likely require that old debt be paid as a condition of any final loan approval.  Some will balk at prior debt that was unpaid until the last year.  You might have a preliminary talk with a prospective mortgage broker now, and get some guidance on what they will require.  Based on their criteria, you may want to continue to pursue PFD, but with some idea of when you must pay.

Message 4 of 6
vizon
Regular Contributor

If she was going around using his card and hiding the bill, that is criminal, and I just do not think he should have to pay for that. If she is not an authorized user on those accounts, you shouldn't be liable. If she is/was then thats a whole different story.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically the accounts were opened in my name (since at the time I HAD credit) and agreed to be paid by her.  Like I said she didn't.  It was back in 2008 so I'm not worried about getting a report done to have her pay for it.  I wouldn't even know how to find her.  I just want to pay it off and work to get my score up.  It will be 21/2-4 years before I buy a house so I assume if I take care of it now my score will be better then it is now.  I just need help as to what to do once the accounts are paid off?  Is that it or do I send out goodwill notice or what....

Thanks again guys

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.