cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What steps to take before paying a judgement?

tag
maxdro2004
Established Member

Re: What steps to take before paying a judgement?

When you say attorney do you mean the collection agency that sued me?

Are you.saying that the collection agencies can't vacate the judgement? Only give a satisfied judgement.

Just a little confused on they info you are providing.
Message 21 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

I personally did not know you could even negotiate a settelment with the creditor after a judgement is entered. I thought after getting a court issued judgement settelment was not possible unless done through the court, which would require the creditor to take action to request that it be vacated. I may learn something here.

Back in the day I had three judgements: as follows

1. Original amount $9,000, grew to $26k because of interest from 2008 to 2015.

Settled for 15k and got the judgement vacated.

2. Original amount $1,600, grew to $2,400 because of interest from 2013 to 2015.

Settled for $2,200 and got the judgement vacated.

3. Original amount $175, grew to $375 because of interest, filed a motion to vacate and the motion was granted due to proving I was not served and the creditor never showed up for motion hearing.

Settled after it was vacated for original amount plus court costs so they wouldn't refile. Total was $195.

You can definitely negotiate if you know what your doing.

Message 22 of 39
maxdro2004
Established Member

donny10 :who initiated the judgement was it through the collection agency or did you do it yourself?
Message 23 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@maxdro2004 wrote:
donny10 :who initiated the judgement was it through the collection agency or did you do it yourself?

I don't understand your question?

Message 24 of 39
maxdro2004
Established Member

Yes it was confusing I didn't proofread.

Did you ask the collection agency to vacate the judgement for your payment(they did the work) or did you pay them then went to the courts yourself and file for the vacate
Message 25 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@maxdro2004 wrote:
Yes it was confusing I didn't proofread.

Did you ask the collection agency to vacate the judgement for your payment(they did the work) or did you pay them then went to the courts yourself and file for the vacate

#2 offered to vacate it for me. I paid him (the lawyer for the CA) the day we spoke. His office was right across the street from the court house. It was vacated within a few days as promised. I didn't even have to go.

#1 & #3, I personally filed the motions, went to court and proved with very clear documentation that I was not served. Both motions to vacate were granted on the spot.

Remember, I paid/settled all of them.

The thing is, not one of them ever made it to my credit files, but could have at anytime. Got them paid and vacated before it happened. 

Message 26 of 39
wa3more
Established Contributor

contact the attorney that filed judgment. Settle with him. He will file the satisfaction of judgment.

Collection agency can't do anything about it. They send out to local attorney who files suit. You need to contact him.

Message 27 of 39
wa3more
Established Contributor

Donny is correct. This can happen very shortly after judgment is awarded. It took a few months for mine to be filed and even hit my credit reports. WIth older judgments, you are stuck.

Message 28 of 39
maxdro2004
Established Member

I will go to clerk of court and find out attorney...so I should not contact collection agency about this ?
Will they find out that the debt is paid through the attorney?
Message 29 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wa3more wrote:

Donny is correct. This can happen very shortly after judgment is awarded. It took a few months for mine to be filed and even hit my credit reports. WIth older judgments, you are stuck.

#1 Judgement was 8 years old before I found out about it. Paid it and got it vacated very quickly. It was vacated the day the motion was granted. I paid it, filed a motion to vacate, got the motion hearing the following week. Paid and vacated within 1 week. But I live in Massachusetts and that where the judgements were. It's pretty simple in Massachusetts to get judgements vacated once paid if you know what your doing and have all relevant documentation.

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.