Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck!!!?! Is it possible...

tag
NewYxox
New Contributor

What the heck!!!?! Is it possible...

So on my time off I spend A LOT of time trying to look up CEOs and the big dogs of companies that I need to get off my reports..one I have been dealing with that's a freaking pain is American profit Recovery. I had a collections go to them from my community college. Back in July I paid American Profit directly (yeah didn't have a clue about all this & credit) and I've actually only contacted them once so far over the phone and that was a no go. (Removal of account) well the other day I emailed somebody at the direct email and no answer yet..looking at what to do I go to the community college website and I email somebody on there. I explained what I was going through and basically asked for the GW favor of them to let American Profit Recovery know to recall that debt off my EX report. I received a really nice email from a lady earlier today explaining the holds have been taken off my account, when I paid them, & that I would have to contact the CA of my goodwill gesture. In return I said they would want their consent since they are the OC and if she or somebody higher up could kindly reach out to them for me. Well a couple hours later she emails back saying that she reached out to American Profit Recovery and a gentlemen she spoke to told her he could not have them removed since it is a valid debt.

Oook what?!! If the ORIGINAL CREDITOR is asking for a recall of the account wouldn't the CA have to recall that debt and not go against them? I was just very confused as to weather or not the lady was lying to me in the email or if she really even contacted them. It just seemed strange. I thought I was so close to getting another baddie removed! She seemed so nice and willing to do it for me but is now stating basically that the CA said no.

What should I do from here? I feel like I'm not going to get anywhere with American Profit Recovery!!

FICO EQ score as of 2/20/14; 546
FICO TU score as of 2/28/14; 492
FICO EX score as of 2/28/14; 551
Goal: 650 across all 3 by 12/2014
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
TeeMac
Established Member

Re: What the heck!!!?! Is it possible...

I'm sure someone more well known here will chime in...but the CA doesn't need the OC's permission for the goodwill removal of a paid collection tradeline from your credit report. Also, once a debt is paid, it can't be recalled from the CA to the OC for any purpose AFAIK. Your best bet is to keep GWing the CA in the nicest, most humble, sheepish way you can, even trying dif letters til they get so sick of opening them that they gve in! Good luck!

NFCU Cash Siggy $15,000--Capital One Quicksilver $4,300--Barclays Apple Visa $1,500 --Discover IT $6,500 --Sallie Mae MC $6,300--Capital One Venture $5,000 -- Chase Freedom $3,000 --

STORE CARDS: HSN $1,800 --Amazon $4,000 --Brylane $1,300--Walmart $2100 --Kohls $700--NY and Company $1,150 -- Paypal SC $2,500-- Lowes $4,500 -- Overstock $4,400

TU 696 -EX 727 -EQ 722

Pecking away at my iPad...forgive any typos or bizarre autocorrects!
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The debt collector had active collection authority when the debt was paid.

The OC always owned the debt, so there was no "debt" to recall, even prior to payment.

The debt has now been paid, so there is no debt, and thus no further collection authority for the OC to teminate.

The OC would have to have terminated their collection authority prior to payment to no longer have had collection authority, and thus have been required to delete their collection.

They are usually reluctant to terminate collectin authority in order to accept payment directly from the consumer, as they have a contract with their debt collector, and will most likely be seeking further business with them.

The OC can request the debt collector to delete their collection, but it is not the OC's reporting, and since they had collection authority when the debt was paid, it is legitimate reporting.  The instructions in their credit reporting agreement with the CRAs instructs furnishers not to delete reporting based on payment of the debt.

Message 3 of 4
NewYxox
New Contributor

So for this I would just have to keep sending out GWs to American Peofit Recovery correct?

FICO EQ score as of 2/20/14; 546
FICO TU score as of 2/28/14; 492
FICO EX score as of 2/28/14; 551
Goal: 650 across all 3 by 12/2014
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.