cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck??, now they're after my daughter??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What the heck??, now they're after my daughter??

I have been faithfully paying a CA for several years on three different accounts, all originating at the same local hospital.  Last month, my daughter (who lived with me for almost a year) received a form notice addressed to her (at my street address) from our CA indicating "she was not paying according to the terms of their agreement" and blah blah blah.  The CA account number on her notice is a different account number from mine, but the "balance due" on her account and mine are IDENTICAL, down to the penny.  To my knowledge, she has not received anything prior to this notice last month from the CA.  I am getting ready to prepare a very simple "verify this debt" letter (found on this website) for her to sign and send to the CA - - but if what I SUSPECT is happening is in FACT happening, I am going to be livid.  Clearly they are trying to collect these monies twice.  I will be completely shocked to learn that she has different "unpaid balances" and "dates of service" than the three accounts I have paid without fail for the last 3+ years.  If the CA responds with identical account numbers and balances due from the OC (identical to those accounts I am paying), which would "prove" they are trying to collect these funds twice, what legal recourse do we have?  And since I have been paying like a slot machine for the last 3+ years according to my agreement with them, why in the world would they pull her name randomly out of a hat with a different CA account number and start contacting her?  Anybody know what in the world is up with them?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What the heck??, now they're after my daughter??

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been faithfully paying a CA for several years on three different accounts, all originating at the same local hospital.  Last month, my daughter (who lived with me for almost a year) received a form notice addressed to her (at my street address) from our CA indicating "she was not paying according to the terms of their agreement" and blah blah blah.  The CA account number on her notice is a different account number from mine, but the "balance due" on her account and mine are IDENTICAL, down to the penny.  To my knowledge, she has not received anything prior to this notice last month from the CA.  I am getting ready to prepare a very simple "verify this debt" letter (found on this website) for her to sign and send to the CA - - but if what I SUSPECT is happening is in FACT happening, I am going to be livid.  Clearly they are trying to collect these monies twice.  I will be completely shocked to learn that she has different "unpaid balances" and "dates of service" than the three accounts I have paid without fail for the last 3+ years.  If the CA responds with identical account numbers and balances due from the OC (identical to those accounts I am paying), which would "prove" they are trying to collect these funds twice, what legal recourse do we have?  And since I have been paying like a slot machine for the last 3+ years according to my agreement with them, why in the world would they pull her name randomly out of a hat with a different CA account number and start contacting her?  Anybody know what in the world is up with them?

Sending a DV is a wise move.  You might also check her credit report to make sure they are not reporting a collection.

Is this medical debt one that you incurred for care provided your daughter?  What state are you in and when was the medical service performed?  With this information it would be easier to give you an assessment on what your options may be. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The two smaller balances due from the OC were for services provided to my daughter in the ER;  however, as I said, all three of these OC accounts were lumped together into one CA account number, which has been paid faithfully for several years now with no missed and no late payments.  (The largest balance due was for a procedure on myself.)  I just can't figure out why they pulled that rabbit out of their hat, out of the clear blue!  We live in Georgia.  Her dates of service were back around 2007-2008.  Mine in 2007.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The two smaller balances due from the OC were for services provided to my daughter in the ER;  however, as I said, all three of these OC accounts were lumped together into one CA account number, which has been paid faithfully for several years now with no missed and no late payments.  (The largest balance due was for a procedure on myself.)  I just can't figure out why they pulled that rabbit out of their hat, out of the clear blue!  We live in Georgia.  Her dates of service were back around 2007-2008.  Mine in 2007.

Well, I guess that as long as your daughter is over 18 they can legally collect at least a portion from her, but they cannot collect double.

My guess is that they screwed up in sending that letter.  I'd DV them and then also contact them afterwards and ask them what they are up to. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.