Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do - Collections

tag
blooro
New Contributor

What to do - Collections

Ok so I have been working on my credit for over 2 years now and have brought my score from 579 to 703 TU. The other day I got a collection notice for pet waste removal service. I was shocked, I havent used the service in over a year and last I spoke with them I had owed nothing at all. I havent received any letters saying I owed them money or anything, just the collection agency notice. What is the best way to handle this? I am going to start with a dispute letter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What to do - Collections

Mail a DV letter, CMRRR.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: What to do - Collections

Obviously, until either the OC or CA posts to your CR, you cant dispute under the FCRA.

So, yes, I would be sure to DV the CA within 30-days of their collection notice to at least cause them to terminate further collection activity.

After doing that, I would hound the OC on the phone, asking for documentation of debt, and a reason why they sent it to collection.

Of course, this is not a legal dispute, so they dont even have to talk to you, but I would let them know of your discontent.

The minute either posts to your CR, then immediately dispute, either through the CRA, or directly with the party who posts to your CR.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.