Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do?? Cut up cards?

tag
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

What to do?? Cut up cards?

Hi,

My husband and I am about 6 months out of a sucessful  chapter 13 BK.  We  have already begun rebuilding our lives with good credit but I over applied and now have many store cards. No balance on them thankfully. However I have a few crap bank cards with low limits like 500.00 on each of the 3 cards. Yesterday we were approved for discover it and a navy fed CC. for a total of 13,000 limit. Thats all we need, we dont need these other crap cards now or any of the store cards. Do I cut all of the cards up that I dont want and then let them cancel during renewal or do I call each one and cancel the cards. If i cancel all the cards i dont want will we take a hit on our scores. Your advice means alot, i love this forum!!

Thank you!

Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Navy Fed MasterCard $3,500
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

Re: What to do?? Cut up cards?

I doubt that your score will take that big of a hit if you close the lower limit cards because of their age. 6 months old right?

However, when you call to close those accounts they may offer you limit increases to keep you since it's so close to Christmas.

I would ask for limit increases if denied then I would close them.
Message 2 of 14
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

Btw 3 to 5 cards are about average to maintain your scores.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can do that, just cut them up and let the creditor close the accounts for lack of use.

Message 4 of 14
trusty
Frequent Contributor

FYI: Letting a creditor close an account may show up as, "Closed By Creditor," or, "Closed By Credit Grantor," on credit reports.

This indication is not ideal, when an underwriter does a manual review of credit. It indicates Adverse Action, which is cause for concern.

If one intends to close an account, it's better to be proactive about it.

That said, it's oftentimes advisable to just get the limits raised, and then proceed to just use each account at least once every year.
Message 5 of 14
Kree
Established Contributor

This reminds me of my first credit card. I was in a mall and a Jewerly store was having a marketing event.  The guy at the table said "Hey kid, do you want a free set of earings for your girlfriend?"  I didn't have a girlfriend, but I did sign up for their card and got a $50 gift card for free. Never once did I actually use my card, but it stayed open for 4 years before the lender closed it for lack of use.

Never did use the gift card either. I was socially akward at the time.  On a humourous endnote, the statements were sent to my home address (I was away at college), and my Mom called me up furious, she was certain that I had gotten some girl pregnant and was buying a wedding ring.

Let the cards be, they will age and thicken your profile while you rebuild.  Eventually they will close and 10 years late fall off, but you should be in a better position then.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO wants to see 5 revolving accounts open and in good standing for maximum benefit -- assuming the accounts have been open for 24 months.

Since you've already made the mistake, might as well close any accounts OVER 5 but let the rest age so in 2 years you have the biggest FICO boost.  Then, don't close any accounts until they're replaced with a prime bank card that is also 2 years old.

Message 7 of 14
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

Thank you all for your advice. I am going to close some of them and leave 5 open.

Thanks again for your input, i appreciate it.

Dawn

Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Navy Fed MasterCard $3,500
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a huge learning lesson we all go through!  I have 3 cards I got this year that I regret getting, but when I got them I had no idea I would be approved for way better cards in just 30 days...

Remember this in the future, too!  Do your math and pre-plan what cards you want that will pay you back or help you financially.  Don't just app for what you are preapproved for!

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trusty wrote:
FYI: Letting a creditor close an account may show up as, "Closed By Creditor," or, "Closed By Credit Grantor," on credit reports.

This indication is not ideal, when an underwriter does a manual review of credit. It indicates Adverse Action, which is cause for concern.

All credit grantors know that accounts are often closed from lack of use. It is not considered adverse, lacking any other derogatory info.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.