Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do? Judgment against me

tag
Steelersfan904
Regular Contributor

What to do? Judgment against me

Okay well I got screwed over a judgment from over a year ago from a previous landlord, I never got notice for ANYTHING until 3 weeks ago I got served papers saying to come to court because I failed to fill out a fact info sheet which I NEVER got and that they could hold me in contempt of court. So I decided to man up look up the paperwork and I found out the attorney's name. I contacted the attorney and go them to lower the judgment order to $2500 and I would make a $100 a week payment which I have been doing so far and I would make a $1000 lump sum payment. Well to make a long story short I can do the $1000 but can do $500 I contacted the attorney and told her this and she called me the next day saying her client refused and he wants $200/week. I told her this is WAY too much. So I am trying to figure out my options

I reside in Florida and reading that wage or bank garnishments can't be enforced to a house of household and I would have to file an affadivit. Does anybody know if this applies to me even though I am not married but paying child support? or what are my other options!

Starting Score: 502 5/4/2012
Current Score: 640 08/03/2012
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do? Judgment against me

You're defaulting on the judgment payment plan. All they have to do to put you into garnishment now is file the appropriate papers in court, unless the two of you come to a different agreement( in writing)

FL is considered a debtor's heaven, so you're lucky there.

Head of household is a specific term - an unmarried person who can claim a dependent who lived with them more than half the year (unless at school). This person must also w responsible for a domicile (rent or own). One can also claim HoH if they have a dependent parent (who doesn't have to live with them). Child support doesn't make you HoH.
Message 2 of 3
compassion101
Established Contributor

Re: What to do? Judgment against me

As Jaade said, you aren't head of household.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.