Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do about collections letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to do about collections letter

Hi I am new to the forums and I have read the New member posts.  I have been reading here for about 2 weeks actually.  I got a letter in the mail today that has me pretty irritated and confused.  I am not sure what to do about it. It is from a collection agency.  It says:

Your failure to reply to previous contacts compels me to put the facts before you for the last time.  In the collection business unpaid accounts must be collected, and our clients are always ready to authorize whatever steps are necessary to effect collection.  Please do not think that we will give up or will forget the matter, or that the amount owed is too small for our futher attention.  We have to collect whatever is owed, and continue with collection efforts until that end is achieved.  I want to suggest, earnestly, that you save yourself further complications by sending payment or contacting our office for a suitable arrangement to take care of the balance.

It is in your best interest to act at once by sending your check.

Re: Your Creditors
Amount due: $1884.77

OK so that is the letter.  It does not say who the original creditor was or the original date of service.  I looked at a credit report I got from the mortgage company who is currently working on refinancing our home.  I found an account in collections from this collection agency in the amout of $884.  It does not list the name of the original creditor on the report either.  So I do not know where the extra $1000 is comming from or if it was a typo or what.  I am not sure if I should call them or send a letter asking them to verify the debt.  I have no idea where this debt came from or what it is for.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about dealing with this?  Thanks so much for the help.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What to do about collections letter

Save that letter....I'd frame it!

Never ever call a CA.

So that is all it says? Does it mention at the bottom or elsewhere that "this is a communication from a debt collector" or anything like that?

Which CA is it? Had you ever received a letter from these guys before? Did they ever call before?

I would do a couple things. First pull your 3 reports directly from each CRA (not through here) and you'll find more info on them if reporting. You also want to make sure they aren't reporting. Moreover, you'd want to compare the contact info from that other CA you mentioned was reporting for the $844. It is important to know who is who. It is also illegal to charge $1000 in collection fees like that if it is the same.

Next, I would DV them and send it CMRRR.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, pull your full reports. www.annualcreditreport.com is where you get 1 free report every 12 months.

One of the reports may list an OC. They will list DOFD and possibly a DOLA. Try to figure out what type of account this is for and what the apprx DOLA so you can determine if SOL is likely past on it.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

After you pull all 3 CR.......The CA should show who the OC is.....if only the CA is reporting   send this DV letter  CMRRR

Add info needed.....do NOT sign it   just type your namr

Never offer any info other then what is on you CR or that is in their letter to you!!!!

CERTIFIED MAIL #: _______________________________________________________
Your Name
Your Address
YourTown,, State ZipCode

Debt Collection Company Name
Their address
Town, State ZipCode

Date:

Re: Debt Collection Company Name; Acct # Debt Collection Company #; Original Creditor Name; OC Acct #

To Whom It May Concern:
This letter is being sent to you in response to a notice sent to me on DATE. Be advised that this is a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested.
This is NOT a request for “verification” or proof of my mailing address, but a request for FULL MEDIA VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your offices provide me with competent evidence that (a) the account is valid, (b) the amount allegedly owed is accurate, and (c) I have a contractual obligation to pay Debt Collection Company Name for this alleged debt.
All of the following MUST be provided to adequately validate the authenticity of the alleged debt AND provide proof of my contractual obligation to Debt Collection Company Name for this alleged debt:
• Signed credit application between myself and the original creditor
• Copies of all signed vouchers from the date account was opened until default
• Copies of all statements from the date account opened until default
• Proof of the statute of limitations
• Proof of agreement that you were hired by the Original creditor (creditor as defined by the FDCPA) or
• A copy of the contract Debt Collection Company Name purchased the alleged debt.
• If the alleged debt was purchased, provide a copy of an agreement between Debt Collection Company Name and myself, signed by me, stating that I have a contractual responsibility to Debt Collection Company Name for the alleged debt
• Provide proof that Debt Collection Company Name is bonded/Licensed for debt collecting in the State of Your State
Be advised that failing to provide ALL of the media requested to validate the alleged debt will invalidate any and all claims Debt Collection Company Name is asserting regarding this alleged debt. If Debt Collection Company Name can NOT provide all of the validation media requested above, ALL collection efforts MUST be stopped and the account MUST be DELETED from the Debt Collection Company Name. If you can NOT validate your claim, you can NOT, by law, collect on it, or SELL it to another collection agency. Also, reporting a debt to the credit reporting agencies that can not be validated is a violation of the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act), and carries a $2500 fine to be paid to me. I have two years to decide if I want to pursue this matter. PLEASE GIVE THIS MATTER THE ATTENTION IT DESERVES.
If your offices are able to provide all of the validating media as requested, I will require at least 30 days to investigate this information, and during such time, all collection activity must cease and desist.
I am also stating, in writing, that no telephone contact be made by your offices. If your offices attempt telephone communication with me, including but not limited to computer generated calls and calls or correspondence sent to or with any third parties, it will be considered harassment, and I will have no choice but to file suit. All future communications with me MUST be done in writing and sent to the address noted in this letter by United States Postal Service.

Best Regards,

Your Name typed only
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Simple question about something I see on the boards regularly: why the advice to not sign your name? So they don't have a sig to copy fraudulently onto phony paperwork? Or something else?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can NOT trust them not to copy your sig   it is not hard to due!
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the bottom it does say:
This communication is from a debt collector.  This is and attempt to collect  a debt.  Any information obtained will be used for that purpose. 

It is from Express Recovery Services. 

Thank you for all the help I will work on getting those reports pulled. 

I dont remember ever getting anything from them for this amount before.

Message Edited by cooper006 on 07-14-2008 12:07 AM
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I pulled my CR from annual creditreport.com and found this CA.  The OC is a dentist.  But the amount listed on my CR is for $1000 less that the satement they sent me.  I am going to go ahead and send this letter you posted to them.  Is there anything different I should do because it is a medical account?

Thanks
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

cooper006 wrote:
Ok I pulled my CR from annual creditreport.com and found this CA.  The OC is a dentist.  But the amount listed on my CR is for $1000 less that the satement they sent me.  I am going to go ahead and send this letter you posted to them.  Is there anything different I should do because it is a medical account?

Thanks

You need to know what your SOL is, find it here -

Google "whychat hipaa", they provide another way of dealing with medical collections.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.