Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do by February- already on a good track

tag
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

What to do by February- already on a good track

Ok scenario-  

Working our butts off to improve scores- then hubby got laid off.  We were planning on moving end of the year.  However that all went on hold as we were using unemployment to survive- obviously stopped knocking off our baddies etc.  Now we are in a position where we need to get moved from our current rental by February.

SOOOO-  We were approved with a mortgage company (despite our scores being just under 600 stil.)  Husband now has 2 jobs- including mine- so the income is there- just our horrible scores.  Anyways- The stuff left on our reports are old collection accounts are medical bills- which I haven't had time to go after yet- but it's my plan in the next 2 weeks.  I have a judgement that is no longer valid that I am trying to have removed, because it shouldn't be on my report- that should help my score once it goes.

Husband was late a month of 2 of his student loans when he was laid off (went 4 weeks without income until his unemployment came) so his score is actually sitting at 512 right now.  OUCH.  So we were approved for a small mortgage- however they told us we needed 35% downpayment.  Fine.  

So my question is this-  we have to be out of here by February and get a new place to live.  With our current savings plan, we will have the 35% down payment saved up by February.   He obviously has a recent (3 months ago) 30 day late- but we are going to get the medical stuff taken care of by Feb.-which should help bring scores up.  The score simulators we've tried have all said we need revolving accounts- because aside from his student loans- we have NO current loans or credit cards.  Since we were already approved- even with the bad scores- I don't want to screw them up so we don't get approved come February.  But we obviously would like to continue to raise our scores- so hopefully we will be eligble for another program or less than 35% downpayment.  What is your advice on credit cards?  If we were to get a couple secured/pre-paid would they be helping our score by February (assuming we keep total UTI under 9% and pay them on time etc..) ?  I've often heard that getting a CC or having the inquiries on your CR will lower the score-  which is something we don't want if it will still be lower in February.

Suggestions- we really really don't want to have to rent again.  =(

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

Re: What to do by February- already on a good track

One other question-  how do student loans factor into debt-to-income ratio?  Do they count the same as credit cards with utilization calculation?

Message 2 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@bruiseviolet wrote:

One other question-  how do student loans factor into debt-to-income ratio?  Do they count the same as credit cards with utilization calculation?

I'll wait for others to chime in on your first post. As for utilization on installment loans, FICO scoring places a much bigger emphasis on revolving (credit card) utilization. High util on CCs is much more damaging to FICO scores than owing a high balance on a loan.

Message 3 of 5
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

Great- that's what I was thinking on that.  

Message 4 of 5
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

I've read the same thing, about not getting CC's 12mos before applying for a mortgage.

How about getting added on a family's' members CC, as an AU. I would think that should work.Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.