cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do for better credit score, riase CR limit or get new card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do for better credit score, riase CR limit or get new card?

Definitely report back!

Remember, credit repair isn't done overnight.  The steps you take every week seem to take forever, but part of all this hard work we have to do now and for many months teaches us not to screw up again.

More important than your FICO score, though, is your savings account balance.  Make it a priority to start saving money every week so if you have a job loss, injury, emergency, etc, you can at least make your minimum payments until the emergency is over.  Save first, FICO later.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do for better credit score, raise CR limit or get new card?

Logged in today and saw new FICO scores. Apparently my letter writing and file disputes are helping, but Equifax is being a real pain concerning an old Verizon account that wasn't mine.

Old scores are in my sig:

Today

Experian-  614           Smiley Happy

Trans Union-  607            Smiley Wink

Equifax- 584                 Smiley Frustrated

Does anyone think I would have better results going through the Better Business Bureau? I've had good results from them in the past on 2 problems for my fiancee`. Her first issue was with Nissan and constant transmission troubles with her brand new car. She alsohe had MASSIVE headaches from Credit One Bank last year. They told her repeatedly they were going to "authorize" her checking account for express payments. Uhhh, no and the reason why is she has NEVER EVEN BEEN LATE with them.  The express payment would post in 1 day instead of the usual 4 or 5.  Thats $9.95 to use and she always told them no. I wrote a lengthy letter to the BBB, and they got great results. Especially after we got smart and taped one of their CSR reps telling her what he was going to do. We almost got a lawyer but though it would take too long. We got al previous fees dropped- refunded, they lowered her interest rate to 18.9% for 6 months instead of the high 20's, and a few other little things,

I cannot seem to get Equifax to truly delete an old Verizon account, even though it wasn't mine. (They agreed to remove it from my report, I have the info from creditkarma's page where the reporting companies do updates), but you look and it shows its a closed account. It was never mine, I didn't use it, thus I want it totally gone, not just listed closed-late. Only Equifax shows it this way....

Message 12 of 15
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Who said they would delete it, Verizon or Equifax? If Verizon stated they would delete, call them back and advise it's still there. If you have something in writing from Verizon, mail it to Equifax with a letter stating it's supposed to be deleted. If you're getting that information from a credit monitoring site, they're kinda slow to update. You can call Equifax to confirm it's been removed.

Great job on the improvements so far!

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 13 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA dispute process is not the way to remove accounts that are not yours.

The proper procedure is to use the identity theft process set forth in FCRA 605B, which will obtain removal of accounts from your credit report if your assertion is backed up by a police report that states you never authorized the account.

For a discussion of the FCRA identity theft process, see the stick post in the upper section of the General Credit Topics forum, and follow the procedure outlined.

Message 14 of 15
DollyLama
Established Contributor

The only thing I would add, your secured account is your Oldest Acct, the AUs you are on are newer, so you are not gaining a long payment history benefit. Also, having a higher credit limit for utilization is good being an AU, but if your fiancee is carrying a balance of the cards, it could hinder your scores. If there is one or two they don't not ever report a balance will be helpful. The key besides collections, is AZEO, having all CCs/Store cards reporting at STATEMENT cut a zero balance, not the due date of the bill, except ONE, your discover in this case and for the best boost is only a balance of less than 8.9% of the total credit line of this one account. So look over and see if balances are carried on these cards, might be beneficial to drop yourself as AU on a couple. Let your Discover garden as we say, establishing a payment history, and it granting you a higher line of credit in a few months or unsecuring it. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.