Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do next? anything?

tag
Candikane
New Contributor

What to do next? anything?

I just received an auto loan for $4000 from a credit union, and credit scores since early March are TU: 674 (dealership said 707 a few days later), EQ: 681 -- I have 3 cards, 2 retail and 1 credit (only as auth user though) ... should I/can I apply for a credit card, or should I let the loan build my credit up more? Would it hurt to get a credit card, even if I don't NEED it now?

I do have a dismissed bnkrptcy from 05, and a charged-off paid Cap1 card from 05, but that's pretty much all that's on my credit other than the cards .... I have basically no history, which is why I wonder if a card would be good..

Any help would be appreciated Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: What to do next? anything?

You need 1 major credit card to improve your credit.   I would wait a couple months though.

Does your credit union offer Visa or MC?  Or maybe a co branded store card.   

Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

An installment loan is good for payment history and AAoA but plays very little in utilization for a FICO score.

You have a good mix of credit and I personally do not see the need for another card.

On the CC you do have (all of which are considered revolvoing) you should keep your overall and individual utilization at 10% or below.  Always PIF before the statement posts.

Do you know anyone that would allow you as an AU on one of their CCs.  In order for it to do any good it would need to be older than your oldest account and have good payment history.

Even though the two negatives on your CR are relatively old, they are still major baddies.  When these come off you should see a significant increase.

You can try to GW Cap One but I don't know how much luck you will have.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could try applying to Capone. If you get in, maybe it would give you more leverage for GW, but they tend to be a hard nosed lot. Still it's not failure unless you fail to try.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.