Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do next?

tag
NikJ4
Established Contributor

What to do next?

How many secured cards is enough if you are trying to rebuild? I have the following:

Amex Secured from USAA (stuck at this limit - $350)

Mastercard Secured from USAA (stuck at this limit- $500)

Captial One Mastercard Secured (I can increase this limit - $200)

Generations Credit Union Secured Visa ( I can increase this limit - $800)

I am listed as a AU on my DH accounts and I have a massive collection of installment loans in good standing. I have roughly 17 negs and 31 good on each of my credit reports. I have sent DV to 4 collection agencies and I am working on the HIPPA stuff now. I just never seem to get a break like some on this site. I am also stuck with a judgement that has been paid but can not seem to get vacated as of yet. So with that being said, I am a lifelong member in the 500 club it seems. I just want to move up and out. I did do something stupid and applied for a couple of store cards. I use to get automatic denials but now they think about it for a few hrs or days then deny me. So does this mean I am moving up slowly? I feel discouraged with my efforts and want to just chunk in the towel and wait it out but i am too old with a son that will be going off to school in another few yrs and I want to be in a better position financially.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
NikJ4
Established Contributor

Re: What to do next?

Anyone please?
Message 2 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Your mix is fine. Adding more would likely create a short-term loss. Just keep plugging away. I remember in my hayday sending 20-30 letters per month across several CAs, COs, and other baddies and most all of them were failures. You don't have to win every battle. You just have to win the war.

Message 3 of 7
NikJ4
Established Contributor

Thank you IIecs. I was trying to decide if I should just jump or shoot myself since this was about to start driving me crazy. I have come off the ledge now. I feel like I am now back to being consumed with the need to get a 600. I just want out of the 500 club. I want to join the 700 before its all said and done but I will be happy with the 600 club for now.

Message 4 of 7
PixieQueen80
Frequent Contributor

@NikJ4 wrote:

Thank you IIecs. I was trying to decide if I should just jump or shoot myself since this was about to start driving me crazy. I have come off the ledge now. I feel like I am now back to being consumed with the need to get a 600. I just want out of the 500 club. I want to join the 700 before its all said and done but I will be happy with the 600 club for now.

NikJ4 I know the road is long (because I am on it) but look  how far you have come.  Your current score is fantastic in comparison to where you were.  You will make the the 700 club by staying the course because time without getting new negatives is what works best in your favor.

Starting Scores (7/26/2010): EQ 517; TU 508; EX 527 (lender)
Scores Along the Way (11/4/2010): EQ 542; TU 547; (11/8/2010) EX Plus 641
Scores Along the Way: (4/15/2011): EQ 516; TU 622; EX 585 (lender)
Scores Along the Way: (8/25/2011): EQ 617; TU 627; EX 625 (lender)
Scores Along the Way: (11/28/2011): EQ 617; TU 645; EX 667 (lender)
Current Scores: (8/9/2013): EQ 634; TU 662; EX 694 (lender)
Closed on a Home: 12/30/2011 Goal Scores (8/25/2014): 700 club
Message 5 of 7
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

You're doing just fine. You have a goal, a plan and guess what....You'll get there,700 club NikJ4 is on the way.

I've read once about a person in the 800 club only having 1 CC. It's not how many CC's you have, it's what you do with them.

Things I've learned to get into the 700 club.

Time...The older I get, the faster time flies by.

Paying bills on time......By not letting any lates be reported,  scores goes up not down.

Emergency Fund....It's money I use to cover a bill, so I wont have a late payment.

Living below my means.... Learned the difference between Wants and Needs.

The Wants.....Learned different ways of getting them, instead of using  credit.

As the baddies drop off a CR the CS should go up,just don't let anymore baddies appear.Take Baby Steps and you will get there.Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 6 of 7
NikJ4
Established Contributor

I truly have tears. Woman Sad

thank you all. I was so discouraged this past weekend. I am trying to stay on top of everything. I have grad school, my job, kids, hubby in school, and hubby's work and a crazy household to run. I just feel crazy some days. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.