Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do next?

tag
dmc917
New Contributor

What to do next?

Apologies in advance for the lengthy post.  I have been rebuilding for just over two years (husband out of work 2008-2011, everything in my name, foreclosure, repo, charge-offs, etc.).  In August 2014, I engaged the services of Lexington Law (I know, I know).  At that time, I had 63 negative items (combined) (or 20 accounts) reporting across all three bureaus -- I currently have 31 items (or 11 accounts).  At this stage in my life, I have a little more money than time, so I am happy with LL's services to date, but plan to cut them loose this month.  

After lurking all over myFico at great length over the past several weeks, I have decided that I need to speed up the process a bit by becoming more pro-active and actually dealing with my old debts (rather than waiting for LL to have them investigated and, hopefully, removed).  So, I created a spreadsheet listing all of my negative/collection accounts, complete with CA names/phone numbers, account numbers, amounts owed, dates of first late, dates of last reporting and on which bureau report they appear.  I then sorted the accounts by reverse chronological date order so that the newest accounts are at the top and the oldest ones closer to falling off are at the bottom.  I did this so that I can start addressing each account individually and in some sort of logical fashion. (I get overwhelmed easily, so this was a MUST first step.)  What I think I learned from this forum (and other credit boards) is that newer accounts = more damage than older accounts. So, the plan is to tackle the stuff on top and work my way down.

The purpose of this post is to confirm what I think I know (or, alternatively, for some much more knowledgeable person(s) than I to teach me something new) regarding my plan to hack away at the debt and get these negative items off my freaking credit reports once and for all!  So here's the abbreviated version of my spreadsheet and rest of my story: 

Collection Agency          Amount     Original Creditor                Purpose               First Late        Last Reporting

First Premier Bank            $   593         First Premier                      Credit Card           11/2012               5/2020

Franklin                            $   108         Solstas Lab                        Medical                  8/2012               2/2020

Delmarva                         $     46         Drs Emerg Svc                   Medical                12/2011               6/2019

National Recovery            $1,474          Med1 Anesthesia                Medical                12/2011               6/2019

Berks Credit & Coll.          $   416         Anne Arundel Urology          Medical                12/2011               6/2019

Midland Funding               $   756         Credit One Bank                  Credit Card            9/2011               3/2019

Delmarva                         $   145         Drs Emerg. Svc                   Medical                 6/2011               3/2019

Delmarva                         $   496         Drs Emerg. Svc                   Medical                 1/2009               7/2016

Delmarva                         $   496         Drs Emerg. Svc                   Medical                 1/2009               7/2016

Innovative Credit              $2,261          HSBC                                Credit Card            8/2008               2/2016

Jefferson Capital              $1,276          Barclay’s                            Credit Card            8/2008               2/2016

Also included in my negative items is a tax lien from 7/08 that was released in 11/09.  It is only appearing on one report, but I would like to get rid of it before 2018 if at all possible.  Just spoke with the county court clerk who had no idea how to remove it early.  Anybody?

In April 2011, I opened a secured Capital One with $1,000, then deposited an additional $1,000 in August 2014 for a $2,000 CL.  Then, in March 2014, I opened a secured loan for $3,000 and a secured nRewards Visa with Navy Federal with a $5,000 CL.  

I was reading about Navy Federal "graduating" its secured nRewards card to an unsecured card upon the 13th billing cycle, so I called them this week to see if that was true.  For the record, I was told that they do not do that automatically anymore and I would have to apply for an unsecured card, which I did -- I am still awaiting a decision (although, I do not think that it will happen at this time).  I was a little dumbfounded when the NavyFed rep told me this as I thought I did everything I was supposed to do over the past year – with both the card and loan (as well as payments for all my other accounts ) – and my scores have gone up since opening both with them.  Oh well.

I am an authorized user on my husband's Capital One unsecured MC (but he was rebuilding as well and has only a $500 CL with them) and the Navy Federal cashRewards Signature Visa for $10,000 (that he was just approved for a couple of weeks ago - yayy!).  This week, I was approved for a Capital One Quicksilver One for $500.  (Note:  I should not have waited almost four years to apply for an unsecured card with them – Capital One does not take loyalty and past history into consideration for unsecured credit.)

After reading about the "shopping cart trick" in the Credit Cards forum, I tried my luck and was approved by Overstock for $3,000 (then was approved for an increase of $300 by pressing the request button), JCrew for $500 (plus $300 by button) and Ann Taylor for $500 (still awaiting the results of my increase button request).  That is where my luck stopped.  I overdid it and now have hard pulls for the Total Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa and Discover It (live and learn!).

Since my receiving my secured Capital One MC back in 2011, I have made perfect payments on everything, including my two high-interest rate car loans (first one in 2013 with Consumer Portfolio that I traded-in in July 2014, and the second with GM Financial).  

Anyway, I am working hard to get to the top for no other reason than I’m too old to have these blasted credit issues (well, not that old!).  My current scores are:  EQ:  589; EX:  610; TU:  635.  Goals are:  750 and better across the board.  Note:  My EQ just dropped 8 points for the hard pulls and new accounts.

Thanks for reading.  Any words of wisdom, strategy or tips will be much appreciated!

Dana

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What to do next?

@dmc917 wrote:

Apologies in advance for the lengthy post.  I have been rebuilding for just over two years (husband out of work 2008-2011, everything in my name, foreclosure, repo, charge-offs, etc.).  In August 2014, I engaged the services of Lexington Law (I know, I know).  At that time, I had 63 negative items (combined) (or 20 accounts) reporting across all three bureaus -- I currently have 31 items (or 11 accounts).  At this stage in my life, I have a little more money than time, so I am happy with LL's services to date, but plan to cut them loose this month.  

After lurking all over myFico at great length over the past several weeks, I have decided that I need to speed up the process a bit by becoming more pro-active and actually dealing with my old debts (rather than waiting for LL to have them investigated and, hopefully, removed).  So, I created a spreadsheet listing all of my negative/collection accounts, complete with CA names/phone numbers, account numbers, amounts owed, dates of first late, dates of last reporting and on which bureau report they appear.  I then sorted the accounts by reverse chronological date order so that the newest accounts are at the top and the oldest ones closer to falling off are at the bottom.  I did this so that I can start addressing each account individually and in some sort of logical fashion. (I get overwhelmed easily, so this was a MUST first step.)  What I think I learned from this forum (and other credit boards) is that newer accounts = more damage than older accounts. So, the plan is to tackle the stuff on top and work my way down.

The purpose of this post is to confirm what I think I know (or, alternatively, for some much more knowledgeable person(s) than I to teach me something new) regarding my plan to hack away at the debt and get these negative items off my freaking credit reports once and for all!  So here's the abbreviated version of my spreadsheet and rest of my story: 

Collection Agency          Amount     Original Creditor                Purpose               First Late        Last Reporting

First Premier Bank            $   593         First Premier                      Credit Card           11/2012               5/2020

Franklin                            $   108         Solstas Lab                        Medical                  8/2012               2/2020

Delmarva                         $     46         Drs Emerg Svc                   Medical                12/2011               6/2019

National Recovery            $1,474          Med1 Anesthesia                Medical                12/2011               6/2019

Berks Credit & Coll.          $   416         Anne Arundel Urology          Medical                12/2011               6/2019

Midland Funding               $   756         Credit One Bank                  Credit Card            9/2011               3/2019

Delmarva                         $   145         Drs Emerg. Svc                   Medical                 6/2011               3/2019

Innovative Credit              $2,261          HSBC                                Credit Card            8/2008               2/2016

Jefferson Capital              $1,276          Barclay’s                            Credit Card            8/2008               2/2016

For medical debt:

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

You are going to want to research the PFD it is going to beyour friend working on these derogs

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

Also included in my negative items is a tax lien from 7/08 that was released in 11/09.  It is only appearing on one report, but I would like to get rid of it before 2018 if at all possible.  Just spoke with the county court clerk who had no idea how to remove it early.  Anybody? You would have to get the lien withdrawn for it to be removed from your CRs early, you would contact the agency that filed it to begin with to ask for this.

In April 2011, I opened a secured Capital One with $1,000, then deposited an additional $1,000 in August 2014 for a $2,000 CL.  Then, in March 2014, I opened a secured loan for $3,000 and a secured nRewards Visa with Navy Federal with a $5,000 CL.  

I was reading about Navy Federal "graduating" its secured nRewards card to an unsecured card upon the 13th billing cycle, so I called them this week to see if that was true.  For the record, I was told that they do not do that automatically anymore and I would have to apply for an unsecured card, which I did -- I am still awaiting a decision (although, I do not think that it will happen at this time).  I was a little dumbfounded when the NavyFed rep told me this as I thought I did everything I was supposed to do over the past year – with both the card and loan (as well as payments for all my other accounts ) – and my scores have gone up since opening both with them.  Oh well.

I am an authorized user on my husband's Capital One unsecured MC (but he was rebuilding as well and has only a $500 CL with them) and the Navy Federal cashRewards Signature Visa for $10,000 (that he was just approved for a couple of weeks ago - yayy!).  This week, I was approved for a Capital One Quicksilver One for $500.  (Note:  I should not have waited almost four years to apply for an unsecured card with them – Capital One does not take loyalty and past history into consideration for unsecured credit.)

After reading about the "shopping cart trick" in the Credit Cards forum, I tried my luck and was approved by Overstock for $3,000 (then was approved for an increase of $300 by pressing the request button), JCrew for $500 (plus $300 by button) and Ann Taylor for $500 (still awaiting the results of my increase button request).  That is where my luck stopped.  I overdid it and now have hard pulls for the Total Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa and Discover It (live and learn!). You have plenty of store cards I would only open accounts that you will actually be using, there are people on this board who have had remorse from using the SCT and ending up with a pocket full of store cards they will never use. You also want to maintain at least 3 open bankcards that are yours alone along with 1 store card (this is the minimum)...

Since my receiving my secured Capital One MC back in 2011, I have made perfect payments on everything, including my two high-interest rate car loans (first one in 2013 with Consumer Portfolio that I traded-in in July 2014, and the second with GM Financial).  

Anyway, I am working hard to get to the top for no other reason than I’m too old to have these blasted credit issues (well, not that old!).  My current scores are:  EQ:  589; EX:  610; TU:  635.  Goals are:  750 and better across the board.  Note:  My EQ just dropped 8 points for the hard pulls and new accounts.

Thanks for reading.  Any words of wisdom, strategy or tips will be much appreciated!

Dana

Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 12
dmc917
New Contributor

Thanks, gdale, for the advice and the welcome!  

Question:  Am I correct that I should start at the top of my list and work my way down?  

So, "withdrawn" is the key word I should focus on for the tax lien -- I think I have to go up the chain in the little county office, as the woman I spoke with had no clue how go about helping me.

Once I was approved for the Overstock, Ann Taylor and JCrew cards, I sat here thinking "what in the world am I going to do with these?" I'm not really an Ann Taylor and JCrew kinda gal.  We (that is,my husband -- I didn't qualify just yet) just bought a new house, so I think I can find a few good uses for Overstock!

Message 3 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@dmc917 wrote:

Thanks, gdale, for the advice and the welcome!  

Question:  Am I correct that I should start at the top of my list and work my way down?  I would do it that way, newer debts first.

So, "withdrawn" is the key word I should focus on for the tax lien -- I think I have to go up the chain in the little county office, as the woman I spoke with had no clue how go about helping me. Yup, it has to be withdrawn  (they may use other words that means the same thing in some states). Dismissing the lien would be an equivalent.

Once I was approved for the Overstock, Ann Taylor and JCrew cards, I sat here thinking "what in the world am I going to do with these?" I'm not really an Ann Taylor and JCrew kinda gal.  We (that is,my husband -- I didn't qualify just yet) just bought a new house, so I think I can find a few good uses for Overstock!

Message 4 of 12
dmc917
New Contributor

Many thanks!

Message 5 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Perhaps some input from others on the forum as to whcih of your current creditors is known to take legal action to obtain a judgment.

My first emphasis would be on those debts that might escalate to civil action.......

Message 6 of 12
dmc917
New Contributor

If I have done my research and read correctly, I believe that all of my debts are beyond SOL (MD is 3 years for credit cards and 6 for written/notes).  But I could be wrong . . . .

Message 7 of 12
dmc917
New Contributor

Oops, sorry -- that is, beyond SOL with the exception of the top few that I intend to PIF within the next few months.

Message 8 of 12
dmc917
New Contributor

Re: What to do next? -- UPDATE 11/23/15

Been working hard since this post in March, so I wanted to share.  Anything is possible, once you put your mind to it.  Updates are interlineated in red below.

Apologies in advance for the lengthy post.  I have been rebuilding for just over two years (husband out of work 2008-2011, everything in my name, foreclosure, repo, charge-offs, etc.).  In August 2014, I engaged the services of Lexington Law (I know, I know).  At that time, I had 63 negative items (combined) (or 20 accounts) reporting across all three bureaus -- I currently have 31 items (or 11 accounts).  At this stage in my life, I have a little more money than time, so I am happy with LL's services to date, but plan to cut them loose this month.  And, I did.

First Premier Bank            $   593         First Premier                      Credit Card           11/2012               5/2020  PAID

*Franklin                            $   108         Solstas Lab                        Medical                  8/2012               2/2020  PAID

*Delmarva                         $     46         Drs Emerg Svc                   Medical                12/2011               6/2019  PAID

*National Recovery            $1,474         Med1 Anesthesia              Medical                12/2011               6/2019  PAID

*Berks Credit & Coll.          $   416        Anne Arundel Urology        Medical                12/2011               6/2019  PAID

Midland Funding               $   756        Credit One Bank                  Credit Card            9/2011               3/2019  PAID

*Delmarva                         $   145         Drs Emerg. Svc                   Medical                 6/2011               3/2019  PAID

**Delmarva                         $   496         Drs Emerg. Svc                  Medical                 1/2009               7/2016

**Delmarva                         $   496         Drs Emerg. Svc                  Medical                 1/2009               7/2016

**Innovative Credit              $2,261        HSBC                                Credit Card            8/2008               2/2016

**Jefferson Capital              $1,276        Barclay’s                            Credit Card            8/2008               2/2016

*Removed from all credit reports, after paying, and disputing online w/paid documentation (receipt or letter).  To be honest, I was shocked when they were removed.

**Aged off from all credit reports.

Also included in my negative items is a tax lien from 7/08 that was released in 11/09.  It is only appearing on one report, but I would like to get rid of it before 2018 if at all possible.  Just spoke with the county court clerk who had no idea how to remove it early.  Anybody?    Sent e-mail to Comptroller of Maryland requesting lien be vacated and withdrawn.  After no response, followed up by phone several days later and got a clerk who asked if she could help.  I told her what I was trying to accomplish – she took the information over the phone, asked me if the reason was because I wanted to buy a house (I said yes), entered it into her computer, and told me that I would receive an order in the mail within 7-10 days and that the credit bureaus would receive the order as well.  As soon as I could see that the lien was withdrawn in MD’s database, I called Equifax and requested, firmly, that the lien be removed immediately.  And it was before I got off the phone with them.

In April 2011, I opened a secured Capital One with $1,000, then deposited an additional $1,000 in August 2014 for a $2,000 CL.  Then, in March 2014, I opened a secured loan for $3,000 and a secured nRewards Visa with Navy Federal with a $5,000 CL.  Currently, both cards in drawer and being used for utilization and account age purposes only.

I was reading about Navy Federal "graduating" its secured nRewards card to an unsecured card upon the 13th billing cycle, so I called them this week to see if that was true.  For the record, I was told that they do not do that automatically anymore and I would have to apply for an unsecured card, which I did -- I am still awaiting a decision (although, I do not think that it will happen at this time).  I was a little dumbfounded when the NavyFed rep told me this as I thought I did everything I was supposed to do over the past year – with both the card and loan (as well as payments for all my other accounts ) – and my scores have gone up since opening both with them.  Oh well.  When my scores got significantly better, I asked about unsecuring this card and was told no, they will unsecure it “if and when” they are ready.    

I am an authorized user on my husband's Capital One unsecured MC (but he was rebuilding as well and has only a $500 CL with them) and the Navy Federal cashRewards Signature Visa for $10,000 (that he was just approved for a couple of weeks ago - yayy!).  This week, I was approved for a Capital One Quicksilver One for $500.  (Note:  I should not have waited almost four years to apply for an unsecured card with them – Capital One does not take loyalty and past history into consideration for unsecured credit.)  Husband’s CapOne MC grew from $500 to $2,500, then he got a QS1 for $1,000 that grew to $3,000.  As soon as they were eligible, I had them combined, then CapOne gave him an additional $500 increase for one big limit of $6,000.  In March, I used the CapOne pre-qualification site and was approved for an additional QS1 card for $300.  By the end of October, the two limits were $1,500 and $1,300, respectively.  As soon as they were six months old and eligible, I paid off one and combined them.  So, I now have one CapOne QS1 with a $2,800 limit.  At the end of October, I was finally approved for a NFCU cashRewards card with a $5,000 limit.  Using CreditAddict’s advice, I also was able to get:  (i) my husband’s NFCU cashRewards card increased to $14,000; (ii) my husband a $5,000 CLOC; and (iii) myself a $5,000 CLOC.

After reading about the "shopping cart trick" in the Credit Cards forum, I tried my luck and was approved by Overstock for $3,000 (then was approved for an increase of $300 by pressing the request button), JCrew for $500 (plus $300 by button) and Ann Taylor for $500 (still awaiting the results of my increase button request).  Overstock limit now sits at $3,700, JCrew at $3,400 and Ann Taylor at $750.  That is where my luck stopped.  I overdid it and now have hard pulls for the Total Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa and Discover It (live and learn!).

Since my receiving my secured Capital One MC back in 2011, I have made perfect payments on everything, including my two high-interest rate car loans (first one in 2013 with Consumer Portfolio that I traded-in in July 2014, and the second with GM Financial).  Also at the end of October, Navy Federal refinanced my car – although I am not in the prime interest rate numbers yet, it is still 5% less than what I was paying.  DCU at 4% is my next short-term goal. 

In September, I was approved for a Walmart card with a $700 limit.  After reading a post at the end of October about Walmart and Amazon CLIs using a back door number, I called and was approved for $5,000.  Also had the husband call and he got his $800 Lowe’s increased to $5,000.  Last week, I got brave and applied for an Amex Everyday, and was approved for $2,000.    

Anyway, I am working hard to get to the top for no other reason than I’m too old to have these blasted credit issues (well, not that old!).  My current scores are:  EQ:  589; EX:  610; TU:  635.  Current scores are now:  EQ:  667, EX:  673; TU 666.  Goals are:  750 and better across the board.  Note:  My EQ just dropped 8 points for the hard pulls and new accounts. 

My husband and I went from having two secured cards with a total limit of $7,000 in February this year, to 19 cards (17 unsecured) (Husband-10 and Me-9) with a limit of $79,750.  We are very careful to rotate and PIF the majority of them with balances only on a few.  Our utilization is currently about 23%, but that should come down to about 10% within the next couple of weeks (awaiting settlement money).  We are now officially gardening.   

The only remaining baddies on all three reports are:  First Premier (paid), Credit One (paid), Midland Funding (for Credit One) and Santander (repo’d car that was a CO).  Neither First Premier nor Credit One would hear of a pay for delete, so I paid them first because they are both the newest and were the most damaging.  Midland is reporting as a zero balance, but an open account.  Is there some way I can dispute that? (It kinda sucks that I get double-dinged for the CO and a CA-although I understand that is what happened, so it can reported accordingly.)

Thanks for reading.  Any words of wisdom, strategy or tips will be much appreciated!   Again, any thoughts on my baddies will be appreciated.    

Dana

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice work!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.