Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to do next?

Hi all.

I have moved to the US approximately 9 months ago.  Upon getting my SSN, I applied for the Discover secured card. I used it carefully for 7 months, and have recently graduated into the regular unsecured card.

There is ample advice/guides online for first establishing credit history, but not a lot of information on what to do once one reaches the stage I am currently at. I am here to ask for your advice on the next step in my credit strategy.

My current stats are:

1 card – Discover. Limit is 750$. Originally, I had a 300$ limit, and it was raised to 750$ upon graduation of the card (unprompted by me).

EX score (according to the Discover scoreboard) – 769

TU score (according to the Discover card profile) – 755

I have no credit history other than that (so no debt/ collections/ loans etc). I have applied for no additional credit and have no inquiries.

I travel a lot and my goal is to eventually qualify for the Chase Sapphire preferred. From reading this forum, I understand that while my scores are now technically "very good", I am still very likely to be denied for something like that. What would be a good way to move forward? Should I apply for another card? What could I qualify for at this stage? Is it better to get some kind of loan to diversify my credit? Should I do nothing now and simply wait? For how long?

I appreciate your help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: What to do next?

I'm no expert,  but i believe that you need an additional card. Now with your file being that thin, you may have to go the Capital one route. They have a decent rewards card for your credit scores and although they may limit your credit line at first they should give you some decent increases. Also there is a thread on here somewhere about the Alliant installment loan that reports for five years for you to help diversify your credit. You may have to search for it unless someone more tech savvy than i can pin it. 

Awesome work to get your scores to where they are. 

Another option is your local credit union. you join them they are much more liberal with credit limits generally and much friendlier than big box banks. just my $0.02

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do next?

You can also go to sites for major credit-card banks (Citi, Cap One, etc.) and use their "pre-qual" forms to see if you are pre-qualified. If you are, great. You might get approved. If you are not, I would not apply. In any case, the safe thing to do is to use these online sites to tickle their computers, and if they want to give you a card, they will start sending you pre-qualification letters in the mail. It is generally good to have four cards or more. Contrary to what credit experts (not here of course) tell you, you want to get your portfolio fattened as early as possible. It is much better to take the too-many-applications hit now, than later. When you go on your app-spree, you should determine which bureau is used for each CC company. Then you want to spread-out your applications so as to distribute the inquiries evenly over the three major CRA's.

If you want that CSP card from Chase, one of the safest ways to get it is to open a bank account with Chase. There will be an option to link your CC account with bank account on same screen. Then, sign-up for their monthly free CR from Experian. Eventually, Chase will be compelled to approve you for one or more of their cards because they will see your high scores. How do you find out when? Simple. Waltz into the bank, sit down to chat with banker, and while you're sitting there, just ask..."Hey...was just curious if I am pre-approved for anything?" They will be able to see on the spot in a box in the lower-right-hand corner of their internal screen. I think my scores were in the upper 500's/lower 600's when I was pre-approved for a Slate with Chase this way. I've been with them for 20+ years, and have the banking profile (at least) of a responsible customer, but scores were not good. I actually needed a card at the time, so I asked, and banker casually looks at screen and says, "Sure, looks like here you're already approved for $5000. Do you want it?" I was shocked, as you can imagine. About 2 months ago, something similar happened. Scores were in the 670-690 range, and banker tells me while chatting..."I know you have high credit scores." I said, "Why?" He says, "...because you have been pre-approved for every card that Chase has to offer." Then he shows me the screen, and indeed, there they are: pre-approvals galore. Again, I am surprised, as I had only recenly broken 650. He says, "Let's take a look at your score..." I kinda laughed when I saw his face, expecting 750+, and saw 679 instead.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.