Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do now? - CA is back!

tag
MissMovingForward
Regular Contributor

What to do now? - CA is back!

Sooooo....I'm cleaning up my credit and of course, right on schedule, I received a letter from a new CA.  They have offered a settlement of around 20%, however, I know better than to make a payment without a PFD.  My question/concern is this, this CA used to report to my CB, but as of today they are not reporting.  How do I ensure they do not update/report now that they have contacted me again?  Should I DV first then PFNR, or should I send a PFNR letter without DV?  The CA is Paragon Way.  If anyone has any success with PFD or PFNR with them, please respond.  Please offer your advice on what steps you would take.  The debt is definitely mine and I would like to take care of it in the most effective and benefical way for my credit health.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do now? - CA is back!

When and why did they stop reporting?  What is the DOFD on the debt?  what is your SOL?
Message 2 of 6
MissMovingForward
Regular Contributor

They stopped reporting last year sometime after I disputed the account.  I don't have my old credit report so I do not no the DOFD.  I belive the SOL for my state is 5 years.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MissMovingForward wrote:
They stopped reporting last year sometime after I disputed the account.  I don't have my old credit report so I do not no the DOFD.  I belive the SOL for my state is 5 years.

They stopped reporting because they could verify the debt....i.e. They are out of GAS....but still trying to collect. They still have the debt and didn't sell it or they wouldn't be trying to collect .......or did they sell it....and are still trying to collect both ways.....never know with these shady collectors. Or they may be trying to cover their A$$es in case you file a legal action against them for either trying to collect on a debt that's past SOL or something else. Then they can state ohhhhh nothings reporting. Either way it stinks...Smiley Wink Always DV first with everything.

King

Message Edited by 74king on 06-09-2009 05:59 PM
Message 4 of 6
MissMovingForward
Regular Contributor

So if I DV will that keep this off my CR?  That's my main concern.  I will pay it if I have to, but only if it remains OFF my CR!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MissMovingForward wrote:
So if I DV will that keep this off my CR?  That's my main concern.  I will pay it if I have to, but only if it remains OFF my CR!

File a Cease and Desist letter and DV to the CA that should keep it off your files for awhile till you can work out an agreement with said Creditor. Never deal with a CA always deal with the original creditor. Always respond as soon as it comes DV with a cease and desist letter, that should keep anything from being posted, because if they post it they can end up in hot water and you can sue them for violations under FDCPA. I think i hit everything or most if not other can chime in.Smiley Wink

King

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.