Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do when there is so many things wrong with an entry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to do when there is so many things wrong with an entry

I am down to one last baddie and I can't seem to find anything ilke this one anywhere to figure out exactly how to contest it.

On Exp and TU, the issuer is listed as Capital One.

On Eq, it's shown as Fifth Third. 

They both have the same open date, high limit, balance, etc. And I honestly do not recall the card at all, neither of those banks rings a bell.  So I asked each bureau to verify the information figuring that at least one of them would come back as a mistake.  Of course all three came back as verified by the lender and valid. 

Equifax shows that the account was current and paid as agreed until June 2017 when it went directly to KD and then back to paid as agreed but closed in July, and nothing since.

Experian shows nothing but KD since Sept 2015.

TU shows no account history but that the account was closed, CO and the dispute was resolved by the grantor.

My issue is there are about a hundred things wrong with this entry and each time I try to contest it with the bureaus, it comes back as legit.  I'm not sure I'm getting through to them that the exact same "account" is being presented as owned by different lenders with vastly different histories.

Any help would be appreciated.  I can also post a screenshot of my report (data scrubbed of course, if that's permissible).

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do when there is so many things wrong with an entry

The account has a history as recent as 2 years and you absolutely can't recall? Then if you are certain, I would believe it's not your account. I would try complaining to the CFPB, stating the bureaus continually report this account that does not belong to you even though you have informed them.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know, it's crazy. I have two unsecured accounts with CapOne, both with excellent histories and every CLI I have ever requested, six months like clockwork.  I would not have accepted an additional card with a $500 limit, and let it go all the way through to charge off thereby jeopardizing the other cards I have with 3k+ limits.  Nor do I really think CapOne would continue to raise my limits on other cards if I wasn't keeping up on all accounts across the board but every time I ask the bureaus to verify it, it comes back as valid & ask the creditor.  

So first, I thought it would save a lot of time and back/forth if I got some info on the account and I called to ask things like when it was opened, last charges, payments/DOFD - the usual stuff.  They won't give me any information about the account unless I can tell them the account number, even though it's using my SSN, reporting into my file to all the bureaus and I can authenticate who I am and make any changes to any of the other accounts I have with Capital One, so they know I'm me.  All this hassle for a lousy $700 when I've funneled thousands of dollars through those cards.

But I think you're right, soloman.  This is my first time escalating to this level though. 

I'm sure there is a good guide somewhere on the site here, but does anyone have recommendations?  

Message 3 of 4
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

I agree, the CFPB can do wonders.

You mentioned "They won't give me any information about the account unless I can tell them the account number, even though it's using my SSN, reporting into my file to all the bureaus and I can authenticate who I am and make any changes to any of the other accounts I have with Capital One, so they know I'm me."

Did you get full official credit report through annualcreditreport.com yet? These show the (almost) entire account number, and with this report in hand the representatives should be able to help you better.

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.