cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do when your up to your neck in credit card debt?

tag
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

What to do when your up to your neck in credit card debt?

My friend is in a bad situation. He is at the limit of most of his cards, he has been paying only monthly and I am pretty sure he has late payments. He applied for a low interest (balance transfer) card at BoA where they assured him he would be approved and then  he could consolidate his debt and reduce his monthly payments. He was declined the card (found out through mailer). I assume if he's already getting declined for this and one other credit card that his scores are in the toilet (some people are afraid to check). How can he consolidate his credit card debt? The interest on some of his cards are just outrageous. I was looking at things like prosper and lending club. Do you guys have any advice or suggestions?

P.S. I posted this here because under the rebuilding section is says "The only credit repair discussions allowed in FICO Forums are ones that exchange information on how to correct or remove real errors from your credit report – not accurate information that you want to get rid of because it may be negatively affecting your credit score" but if this can be put in rebuilding section, it would be nice if a mod could move it. Smiley Happy  

Thank you!

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Re: What to do when your up to your neck in credit card debt?

Too hard to advise I'd imagine without more information like current FICO scores, any derogs, utilization and number of cards, income as it relates to the debt -- how much is he paying monthly on the cards and how much extra can he put towards them.

People here are VERY helpful on coming up with solid debt repayment plans but there's some information required first.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do when your up to your neck in credit card debt?

If his scores are low 600's or worse it's unlikely he's going to have any success getting the debt consolidated with an unsecured loan.

It sounds like he needs budgeting help to make a realistic plan to pay down the debt and start rebuilding a positive history. The high utilization is one of the most weighted portions of a credit score, so once it's down to each mark in util, the outlook will start to improve drastically.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.