cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with a charge off that's still with the original creditor?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to do with a charge off that's still with the original creditor?

I have a charged-off credit card debt going back to 2013 with Citibank. It's $1.3k, which I can pay no problem. It's not a collection or anything, and it hasn't been sold to any agencies. What approach would best help my credit score? I've read about PFDs but those seem to be for collection agencies - this is the original creditor. I don't care about the money, I'm perfectly willing to just mail them a check, but I'd like to at least try for something favorable on my credit report.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: What to do with a charge off that's still with the original creditor?

Someone else may have a better response...

My suggestion is to call the bank and ask them where to send the check for payment in full and/or if you can wire them the money (ACH, online payment - something like that.)

By law, CITI will have to update to paid in full, zero balance.  I *think* the charge off status will change since it will become paid in full.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can always first attempt a pay for deletion request, where you make an offer to pay in exchange for their prior agreement to delete derogatory reporting, such as the charge-off, any monthlyy delinquencies, or if you prefer, the entire account.

If they accept, removal of the derogs will help your score, and payment will discharge thte debt.

The peril is that they dont have to accept any PFD concessions, and may take their own actions.

Your requst letter will result in account review by them that may not otherwise have occured at this time.

Is the debt still within SOL?

If willing to pay,, I would contact them and request a PFD.

If they balk, you can still pay.

Payment will move the deck chairs, but wont improve scoring.  The current status will no longer show delinquency, but the collection is retained in your file/report, and continues to be included in your payment history scoring unless it is deleted by the creditor.

The possible real benefit may not be in immediate improvment of current score, but rather in the avoidance of an added collection, which could further damage your score.

Additionally, once a debt collector reports, you will have to deal with them.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, my main concern is not having a collection on my report - I'm going to pay it off no matter what.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.