cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with my thousands in medical collections...

tag
Espresso
Contributor

What to do with my thousands in medical collections...

Ok, here is a summary of my current FICO situation.

Credit:

4 CC (All Unsecured, AA of 5 years)

CL of $1700

Util. of $300

Auto Loan: 12K

Student Loans 36K

FICO: 622

Now here is my dillemma...I am 29 and have been uninsured (broke student) since 21. I have had 2 ER visits and a gallbladder removal in past 2 years. All of that medical is now in collections.

Here is a list by date:

April 2015 - $956.00
Mar 2015 - $162.00
Feb 2015 - $417.00
Jan 2015 - $11,275.00
Jan 2015 - $865.00
Dec 2014 - $110.00
Dec 2014 - $1,522.00
Nov 2014 - $629.00
Sep 2014 - $58.00
May 11 2014 - $893.00

Here is the same list sorted by account amounts:

Jan 2015 - $11,275.00
Dec 2014 - $1,522.00
April 2015 - $956.00
May 11 2014 - $893.00
Jan 2015 - $865.00
Nov 2014 - $629.00
Feb 2015 - $417.00
Mar 2015 - $162.00
Dec 2014 - $110.00
Sep 2014 - $58.00

I believe these are keeping me from getting CLI and new cards...

How should I handle all of these medical collections? They are my only negatives on my report...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

Re: What to do with my thousands in medical collections...

I suggest calling the hospital and doctor's offices and seeing if they have any kind of payment assitance programs. After you get that settled, I would see if whatever might be remaining could be paid off in payment plans. You might want to ask if they would accept a lower amount than what is on the bill. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not have any personal experience with medical debt.  But I just googled "how do you handle medical debt" and I found a host of helpful articles:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+you+handle+medical+debt&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

What I am certain of, however, is the priorities you mentioned (a desire for credit limit increases, a desire for more credit cards) are almost certainly misplaced.  Those are reasonable concerns when everything else is great in your life.  When you have vast amounts of debt, collection agencies breathing down your neck, possible ongoing health problems, no money and no prospect of having any soon -- getting the next best rewards card should be low on your To Do list.

Here are some things I'd look at if I were you:

(1)  Think carefully about you health.  Is it reasonably certain that your health problems are behind you?  E.g. could your life without a gallbladder lead to other problems?  More huge medical bills?

(2)  Do you have a clear solution on the horizon for being broke?  E.g. a plan for a decent job?

Declaring bankruptcy is one possible plan.  That's what it is there for -- when a person or company has generated vast amounts of debt that vast outstrips his ability to pay back.

But BR should be used as a technique once you have some kind of plan for solving #1 and #2.  My guess is that it would not make sense to choose BR if it was quite possible that in 3-4 years you'd be looking at a ton more medical debt in collections.

The bottom line is your priorities should all be about finding a way to get out from under the debt for its own sake -- as well as solving the problem of your physical health and income -- not so that you can get better credit cards.  You may need to restructure your expectations and concerns such that you are ok with your credit reports being in terrible shape for 7 or 10 years if it means having money and health.

Wishing you all the best....

Message 3 of 7
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

I would first call the hospital or go in & see if you qualify for charity for low to no income. They should have brochures stating exactly how little you need to make in order to qualify.

Message 4 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Charity, any hospital that accepts Medicare has to offer it. A single person netting 23k or less per year, 100% write off. They have tiers, 75, 50, etc. That is how I ditched most of mine, backdating.
Signature needs updating
Message 5 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding69 and Imperfectfuture have given you excelent advice.  If you have any medical debts left over after checking into charity care PM me and I can give you some options that may help. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.