Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to do

I recently had a debt pop up on my credit report. I immediately called the collection company and found it was from a medical bill that I thought was paid but I missed it. I paid it off asap and the company told me they would delete it. I also received this in writing. Now, I want to forward this to equifax because according to the debt collector they sent the information to Equifax to remove it on Feb 24th. I called equifax and they say they never recieved a letter from them and if they did indeed send it on the 24th they would have seen it by now. I want this off ASAP. I'm trying to buy a house and this tanked me 22 points. Does anyone know if I could fax this in myself. Obviously, I don't want to do a dispute because I can't have any disputes on my credit to buy this house. This popped up at the worst possible time and I'm freaking out! I don't want to tell the mortgage guy if I don't have to. I just want it off!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What to do

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently had a debt pop up on my credit report. I immediately called the collection company and found it was from a medical bill that I thought was paid but I missed it. I paid it off asap and the company told me they would delete it. I also received this in writing. Now, I want to forward this to equifax because according to the debt collector they sent the information to Equifax to remove it on Feb 24th. I called equifax and they say they never recieved a letter from them and if they did indeed send it on the 24th they would have seen it by now. I want this off ASAP. I'm trying to buy a house and this tanked me 22 points. Does anyone know if I could fax this in myself. Obviously, I don't want to do a dispute because I can't have any disputes on my credit to buy this house. This popped up at the worst possible time and I'm freaking out! I don't want to tell the mortgage guy if I don't have to. I just want it off!!

STOP, sending that letter to the CRA is the last thing you want to do. CAs have agreements with the CRAs to not delete valid paid collections. Removals of CAs post payment with agreements to delete can take up to 60 days post the time they request the deletion. I would call the CA and verify that it in fact was requested to be deleted. Mortgage pulls will always bring out the collectors if they can still report the debt on your CR, they know you cant close until you satisfy them. This being medical is not going to affect your home closing as they are normally overlooked.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.