Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to do?

I have a capital one charge off from 2015. I received a settlement offer again from a CA. However, the CA has never reported on my credit report. The charge offs are affecting my utilization rate on Experian. Should I pay the settlement or pay the full amount with capital one and try to get a PFD or pay as agreed?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do?

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a capital one charge off from 2015. I received a settlement offer again from a CA. However, the CA has never reported on my credit report. The charge offs are affecting my utilization rate on Experian. Should I pay the settlement or pay the full amount with capital one and try to get a PFD or pay as agreed?

Does Capital One still own the account? If Capital One sold the account to the CA then Capital One no longer owns the debt thus they will NOT accept payment.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll have to call and ask. What would happen if I just go ahead and pay the settlement offer with the CA?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'll have to call and ask. What would happen if I just go ahead and pay the settlement offer with the CA?

Without admitting the debt is yours, I would call the CA and offer to pay if they agree not to report at anytime in the future. You may want to do this before they report. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

donny10 is right on. It may not be on your reports yet, but is bound to get there if you leave it alone. Make sure Cap1 doesn't still have the debt, then deal with the CA

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. I'll contact Capital one later this month when I have the funds to pay in full (2200). Just in case they're willing to work something out if I pay in full (which I doubt).
Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the creditor has sold the debt, then they should already have reported an updated debt balance of $0 to the CRA promplty after their sale.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap one is still reporting a balance.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.