Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

: ( What to do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

: ( What to do?

Well, I took my 2002 Sonata to the auto shop today because it had started making a noise on turns.  Turns out I need about $3500 worth of work done... most important, must do parts = $2500.  : (  I don't even know if the Blue Book is that much.  I was trying so hard not to buy a new car until next summer (2011) when I plan to buy a house.  I didn't want any car payment factoring into my debt ratio.  I may have to take a loan to get $3500 worth of repairs done.  Dang it, dang it, dang it... : ( 

Now I don't know whether to fix it or not or look at buying a new car.  And could I call USAA for advice on car loans and ask if they think they would approve...without them pulling?  Current EQ FICO from Scorewatch is 675.

Majorly depressed now.  The first repair that needs done are BOTH axels... they showed them to me... they are about to come apart.

What would you all do under these circumstances?  Buy new?  Get this car fixed?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Re: : ( What to do?

i wouldnt get it fixed, i would try and find another car maybe under 5k and less. Hyundais's quality was not that great back in the 2000's so i would be uneasy as to how much longer the car would last.  Then next year when you go to buy a new car you can trade or something like that!

Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 2 of 9
Ciaopeeps
Valued Member

Well first off do you know anyone that does side jobs? Most of the time its the wheel hubs that are going out, but even if it needed some MUST have parts it wouldn't run you up that much! You said Axels...New ones are around 50-65 for one most of the times shops will take you if you don't know car talk...Are the leaking out grease yet? If not run it, and even if they are you can run it for a while... I would not worry about trying to race to get this car fix or buy a new one if you're not ready. But if you can find someone to do the work the parts should only run ya 3-400...But again I'd wait on it anything if it drives just drive and people trade stuff in, in way worse shape for something else Smiley Wink

Good luck!

ps if you have a Credit union you're score would get you under 9% apr i think of the top of my head...

Starting Score: EQ 535 TU 545 EX 530
Current Score: EQ 654 TU ?? EX ??
Goal Score: EQ 720 TU 720 EX 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
mauve
Valued Contributor

Call your local NAPA auto parts and ask them what local mechanics they recommend.  Oh, and make sure that you verify if you're within warranty - didn't Hyundais get a 100k warranty sometime around then?  I'd definitely get a 2nd opinion on the cost of repairing it, but if you're going to end up buying a different car, I'd definitely try to go the private party route - sell yours as-is and get a loan for a private party car (some CUs will do this)

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree 100% with mauve.

I would find a recommended mechanic and get a second opinion.  Is it something that is a safety issue for you to continue to drive before you just get rid of it a year from now?

Your Kelly Blue book trade in on that car ranges from approx. $650 in fair condition to around $1200 in excellent condition. Your car appear to be, at best, in fair condition.

Putting $3,500 now into a vehicle that currently has a trade in value of well under $1,000 is something that I would not recommend. That same $3.500 could probably find you another vehicle that you could nurse for the next year, with less threat of tuture problems.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

3500 could buy you a real nice used car. Really, i know you can find a decent car that would last at least a year or two for 1000. It may not be the best looking ride but hey it gets you from a to b. Then just save whatever you can extra to go towards the home next year. Also isnt the sonata a front wheel drive ? If so they have cv axles that can be swapped out at a shop for around 4-500 with parts. I can't see how anything that deals with axles would amount to 3500 worth of repairs. Thats a new engine swap!

Message 6 of 9
cascade159
New Contributor

Isn't 675 a solid credit score? Financing shouldn't be an issue... 

EQ: 680, TU 665, EX 615 (FAKO)
Message 7 of 9
mauve
Valued Contributor

Can't believe I didn't thinka bout this yesterday, but:

http://www.car-part.com/

You can search for parts on there.  Finding your own recycled parts and paying a mechanic to install them for you is an option for saving money on car repair.  You can also call around to auto recyclers.  Also, it will give you an idea of what a reasonable price is for a given replacement part.  This, of course, is assuming that repairing the car is a feasible option.

One more small point:  I know that you don't want to have a car payment affecting your DTI when you purchase a home, but really, I know I personally wouldn't feel comfortable exceeding the DTI just after purchasing a new home.  I'd rather have a house and car I can afford than hold out and immediately (in less than, say, 2 years) change the amount of money I have to pay out each month.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
leah5570
Frequent Contributor

Hyundai's have a Powertrain of 5 yr/100k miles, whichever comes first. I don't think powertrain covers axles though, I think just engine, tranny. I agree with repairing it. Another idea would be to look at community colleges with mechanic training. Contact an instructor and see if they will use your vehicle for training purposes if you supply the parts. And ask if the teacher has a student that needs more time logged. And as another member posted ask Napa clerks if they know of any mechanics who can refer someone.

Hope this helps

@mauve wrote:

One more small point:  I know that you don't want to have a car payment affecting your DTI when you purchase a home, but really, I know I personally wouldn't feel comfortable exceeding the DTI just after purchasing a new home.  I'd rather have a house and car I can afford than hold out and immediately (in less than, say, 2 years) change the amount of money I have to pay out each month.

I agree. If the vehicle is safe and it works for you, since you don't have a payment that's awesome. It's a sure pain when as soon as you're free of a monthly payment you got expensive repairs to keep you in it. lol.

EQ. Starting Score 08/19/12: 545
EQ. Current Score 09/02/13: 611
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

The effects of waking a sleeping giant...
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.