Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do?

tag
Fleurdelis28
New Contributor

What to do?

I'm not sure how to handle this. I have a collection account (with Assoc Credit Serv) showing on my credit reports (all 3). It is for a charged off Capital One Bank checking account. It appears that this account was turned over to them in January 2011. However, I paid this debt off, directly to Capital One Bank, in January 2011. I have disputed this account with the collection agency over and over again. I have spoken to them and asked them to contact the OC and verify with them directly, that this account is paid. However, they refuse. Capital One Bank refuses to help. All they agreed to do was write a letter saying that this account has been paid. I have also disputed this account with the CRA (awaiting a result). What should I do? If I get the letter from Capital One, stating that the account has been paid, do I send it directly to the CRA, or to the CA? Also, is there a way I can get this TL deleted? Maybe a GW?

Thanks for your advice!

Starting Score: 538
Current Score: 555
Goal Score: 675

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: What to do?

What exactly is Assoc Credit Serv reporting?   A balance or a $0balance, paid or unpaid?

ETA....What is the OC reporting? 

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 5
Fleurdelis28
New Contributor

They are reporting a balance for the exact amount I paid.

Message 3 of 5
Fleurdelis28
New Contributor

Also, the OC isn't reporting anything. There isn't a TL from the OC on my report, just the CA, showing an unpaid balance. This should come off with my dispute, right?

Message 4 of 5
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

If the CA verifies the debt was paid to the CRA, the the CRA will change the balance to $0 and also marked as Paid.

If the CA tells the CRA is debt is still unpaid, then go ahead and ask the OC for a paid letter,tell them to mail it to you.

Then mail one to the CA, that way you will know it was mail to the CA, Also mail one to the CRA.

Paying a CA will not remove it from a CR, it stays on for 7.5yrs starting on the DOFD from the account with the OC.

As far as getting the CA removed, I would suggest sending a short and sweet GW letter to the CA.

Good Luck to You.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.