Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to prioritize next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to prioritize next?

This week I was successful in getting PFDs for all four of the medical collections that were on my CRs. Woohoo! Now I'm wondering what I should focus on next with the money I have available and I'd appreciate input from the community. I have an unpaid chargeoff with Capital One from May 2014 for $521 and 3 other small collections totalling about $700. My question is, should I go after the Cap One C/O first or try to get the rest of the collection accounts deleted? I would like to be able to get a new credit card in a couple of months but it occurs to me that having an unpaid C/O might look worse to potential creditors that the collections accounts. Or will they both look the same and it doesn't matter which way I go? Thanks in advance for your input!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to prioritize next?

They're all killing your score.  Work on the ones that aren't reporting each month and work back to the ones that aren't currently reporting.  If they're all reporting I would attack the one that defaulted most recently and work your way back to the oldest.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would prioritize by according to whether an item can worsen or not. If the CO has not gone to collections, thats where I would start. The CO hurts you in several ways, the late payments, the balance goes againts your UTI%, and the CO itself is a major derog. If it goes to collections thats a second major derog.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your input. As far as I can tell the CO has not gone to collections. Do you think I should just call Capital one's customer service line directly to pay it or is there another department I should try to reach out to?
Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you very much for your input. As far as I can tell the CO has not gone to collections. Do you think I should just call Capital one's customer service line directly to pay it or is there another department I should try to reach out to?

I would reach out to the EO and see if you can get a PFD from them, odds are not good for it but give it a shot..

Let me Google that for you (its the top entry)  http://bit.ly/1g0P1zO

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I'll give it a shot
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.