cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of debt is a bank overdraft?

tag
FocusKato

What type of debt is a bank overdraft?

I found out I have an overdraft account in collections on my CR this happened back in 2001. I think it is past the SoL in my state of Ohio but not sure since I cannot find out what type of debt this falls under. Thanks for your help

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Springer
New Contributor

Re: What type of debt is a bank overdraft?

What do you mean by what kind of debt?  The loan type should be a line of credit, if thats what youre asking

In The Garden Since 1/5/13

Starting Score: EQ FICO 627 CK 633 CS 630 (12/2012)
Current Score: EQ FICO-584: EX FICO (BofA, 12/17/2012): 538 :CK 578 :CS 630
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
FocusKato

I saw a SoL chart by type of debt for my state a few types of debt like a bank laon had a SoL of 15 years and revolving credit had a SoL of 6 years. Was unsure what a bank overdraft fell under..

Message 3 of 6
FocusKato

Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@FocusKato wrote:

I found out I have an overdraft account in collections on my CR this happened back in 2001. I think it is past the SoL in my state of Ohio but not sure since I cannot find out what type of debt this falls under. Thanks for your help

If it is from 2001, it should NOT be on your CR.  Can you check the DoFD?

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When you opened the account, you most likely executed a written contract that specified whether or not overdrafts on the account would be covered by them for a reasonable time,offering the consumer the ability to cover the overdraft without violating the agreement  or would become basis for violation of the agreement.  In additon to establishing the type of possible debt, it would determine whether the overdraft was a violation of the agreement.

In that event, the pertinent SOL would be that for written contracts, as opposed to an open-ended line of credit, oral contract, or promissary note.

If the violation of your contract arose in 2001, then it appears to now be standing at 12 years of age?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.