Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What way should I take this?

tag
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

What way should I take this?

So I recently paid an old bank  account off last week after NCO popped up on my report for them. I forgot to ask the bank if they will update the CA that it was paid in full. Should I wait a little bit or should I call the OC and see if they will do that or call NCO to see if they'd be willing to delete the TR from my report since it's paid in full?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: What way should I take this?

Was it a PFD from OC. If so they will delete but as far as the CA by not working with them to PFD u have put yourself at their mercy they may delete or not

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 13
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

Noooo! It wa something I needed done asap so i kind of just bit the bullet and paid. The OC was never on my CR,  just  NCO

Message 3 of 13
jandj80
Regular Contributor

I would contact them soon, as the transaction will be fresh in their mind, and really plead your case. Since you paid the OC, they can recall the account from CA. Admit your mistake, and tell them how much you need their help. Be nice and don't get mad at all, that won't work for this type of transaction. Good luck. 

Starting Score: EQ 416 TU 498 EX 468 Lender Fico's July 2012
Current Score: EQ 674 TU 679 Ex 686 EX
Goal Score: For now: 640s

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 13
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

Just got off the phone with Suntrust. No luck, gave me the standard "stays on your report blah blah blah" which I get they don't have to do anything. They said they can give me a letter on Suntrust letterhead staing I paid and that NCO will be updated within 30 days to show zero balance. Should my next step be to email NCO with a copy of the letter and suntrust chasiers check showing full amount paid and beg for a deletion?

I want to smack myself for not asking for PFD before I did anything, but what's done is done. I really want / need this off because I want to apply for a mortgage at the end of next year.  Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 13
jandj80
Regular Contributor

You could file a dispute after it updates to show paid in full. It is not really the "right" thing to do, but if you can find one error in the reporting, it makes it okay. I can just about always find something wrong, as they rarely get it 100% accurate. I have gotten a few deletions this way on paid accounts. 

Starting Score: EQ 416 TU 498 EX 468 Lender Fico's July 2012
Current Score: EQ 674 TU 679 Ex 686 EX
Goal Score: For now: 640s

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 13
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

Another thing I also noticed is that when I searched NCO here, I came up with an address in TX. The one I sent my DV to was an address in Delaware, which was the one that was on my CR. Does anyone recommend DV'ing again but send it to the TX addy? A lot of people had very good results from sending it there?

Message 7 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The moment the OC accepted payment as satisfaction of the debt, the collection was terminated due to absence of any debt.

They had/have the obligation to immediately notify them as such in order to curtail any improper collection activity on their part.

Upon notificatioh of termination of the collection, the debt collector is required to promptly update their reporting to reflect that (1) it is now closed, and (2) the collection balance is $0.  Whether you paid the debt in full or settled for less is immaterial, as the debt is satisfied and thus the collection amount is $0.  A debt collector who is only an assignee of the OC is not reporting debt, they are reporting collection activity.

Failure to timely update is a violation of FCRA 623(a)(2), for which failure to update is basis for filing a direct dispute with the furnisher.  A slam-dunk dispute.

However, they have the option of simply correcting.  Deletion is not mandated as a result of a reported inaccuracy unless the furnisher cannot either correct or provides verification of its accuracy.  So it will require them to correct, not delete.

They do not have to delete their prior reporting, and the OC cannot "pull back" that reporting.  They can only request the debt collector to delete.

Message 8 of 13
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

The timley update is like 30 days or so right?  I paid it in full on Friday.

Message 9 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

No reason to DV, debt is paid.  It would be in your best interest to GW NCO.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.