Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What way should I take this?

tag
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

Re: What way should I take this?

I got a score watch alert that NCO was updated to a zero balance. Should my next step be to GW the heck out of them or dispute?

Message 11 of 13
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

FWIW: I made an agreement with an energy company 1 month after moving out of state to pay final bill in two payments (moving expenses, new deposits, etc being what they were).  Energy company agreed to payments and no derog.  I paid the 1st installment as agreed to the energy company.  I set up auto-pay for the 2nd one, a month later.  In the middle, I got a collection notice from collection agency for full amount.  I figured it was a "crossing in the mail" sort of thing and ignored it.

However, on October 6, I received a score watch notification that the collection for the full amount had hit.  I let the 2nd and final payment to the energy company go and sent a letter to agency to remove.

They simply updated the record to say paid in full.  I sent a final letter to remove.  They basically said... you know eff off.  I sent a letter to the state AG office, and a copy of that to the FTC.  This agency has been sued in multiple states for erroneous remarks and collection activities.  I received a letter from AG's office stating they were investigating.

That $139 amount tanked my score over 80 points.  That amount took me from going into 700+ range, less than 3 years post-bk, to almost unworthy of loans (and yes, I was cheering a non-rebuilder card, or so I thought).

In addition, I've filed a BBB report (waste of time but I'm making sure I've documented this everywhere).

My next step is an ITS letter and if it is not removed, to sue in federal court.

I tell you all that because:

1)  not getting a PFD in writing from everyone SUCKS because GW with some unscrupulous agencies is waste of time

2)  you can see what a pain in the buttafuco it is to try and rectify instead of proactively manage these collection agency dirtbags

Good luck - I hope a GW works.  But if not... you can follow what I did.

Message 12 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Send them a GW.  If you were to dispute, what would be the basis?  Is something not reporting right?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.