Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will being an AU do to my scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What will being an AU do to my scores?

Hi Everyone,

I've found myself in the land of hopelessness in terms of credit rebuilding. In terms of PFDs and DVs I'm at a stalemate. I still haven't received my secured card. The collections amount I owe seems insurmountable. I need something moving and improving on my reports! 

The idea of getting approved for an unsecured card is laughable for at least another year. Too many derogatories, public collections, too many inquiries (from secured & credit unions & car loan shopping just a couple months ago), not long enough history, etc.

My mom doesn't have the best credit but it is good enough to get approved for a $2000 Discover It card and a $500 Barclays MasterCard today. I make more money than her and she can add me on as an authorized user on both cards. All of my credit rebuilding has been for the past 2 months so I don't believe that this would give me a ding on my average age of accounts, I just don't know how it would help my scores positively. I'd be paying the bills with no help from her and she probably wouldn't even use the card. Will this account improve my credit as if they were my own? Is there any benefit and will this help get me in the door later on? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What will being an AU do to my scores?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've found myself in the land of hopelessness in terms of credit rebuilding. In terms of PFDs and DVs I'm at a stalemate. I still haven't received my secured card. The collections amount I owe seems insurmountable. I need something moving and improving on my reports! 

The idea of getting approved for an unsecured card is laughable for at least another year. Too many derogatories, public collections, too many inquiries (from secured & credit unions & car loan shopping just a couple months ago), not long enough history, etc.

My mom doesn't have the best credit but it is good enough to get approved for a $2000 Discover It card and a $500 Barclays MasterCard today. I make more money than her and she can add me on as an authorized user on both cards. All of my credit rebuilding has been for the past 2 months so I don't believe that this would give me a ding on my average age of accounts, I just don't know how it would help my scores positively. I'd be paying the bills with no help from her and she probably wouldn't even use the card. Will this account improve my credit as if they were my own? Is there any benefit and will this help get me in the door later on? 

the only benefit u get from it is utilization.  i wouldnt add yourself to it if it's a faily new card, only add to a card with a long 100% payment history. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well currently I have 750 in limits so by adding an extra 2500 that would help?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Well currently I have 750 in limits so by adding an extra 2500 that would help?

your limits doesn't matter if you can manage the utilization.  just make sure to pay it down before the statement hit

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.