Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What?!

Back in March / April we were in the throws of the mortgage / home buying process. We closed May 3.... WHOO HOO!

In March we settled with Midland on a VERY old debt- the original tradeline is due to fall off in October of this year. Midland picked it up three years later. We settled and paid it. They updated on all three CRs, showing paid / closed. This month, after the closing, it is newly reporting as an OPEN collection with a zero balance? 

What? How do I tackle this beast that just. wont. die. ???!!!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

Re: What?!

@Anonymous wrote:

Back in March / April we were in the throws of the mortgage / home buying process. We closed May 3.... WHOO HOO!

In March we settled with Midland on a VERY old debt- the original tradeline is due to fall off in October of this year. Midland picked it up three years later. We settled and paid it. They updated on all three CRs, showing paid / closed. This month, after the closing, it is newly reporting as an OPEN collection with a zero balance? 

What? How do I tackle this beast that just. wont. die. ???!!!

Just PM'd you Smiley Happy

8/22/18: BK7 filed EXP 490 TU 430 EQ 429
11/28/18: BK7 discharged EXP 586 TU 578 EQ 527
06/08/21: EXP 656 TU 643 EQ 701
Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Once you have paid the debt, the debt collector must update to show closed, $0 balance.

They apparently neglected to update the collection status to show closed.

That is a minor inaccuracy that is readily correctible.

I would make an informal call requesting update, and would wait for any formal dispute until at least one more credit reporting cycle.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG,

But it was reporting as paid, closed. Suddenly it is showing open again and my score dropped...?
Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Hmm....

Hopefully, they are not now attempting to claim that there is still an umpaid fee/interest, etc.

I would call tham and ask for the reason.  It may have simply been a clerical error.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhhhhh.... I hate them.
Message 6 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Hmm....

Hopefully, they are not now attempting to claim that there is still an umpaid fee/interest, etc.

I would call tham and ask for the reason.  It may have simply been a clerical error.

+1

Very well may be an error. 

You said it's due to fall off in October. If so, you may be in range to start asking the bureaus for an EE to get them removed early.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did your mortgage recently report that could cause a score drop.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG,

EE?

Pinkling,

MTG has not reported yet.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.