Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats my next step?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats my next step?

I sent out a standard PFD to The Home Depot on 4-9 and within a couple weeks i got this response back:

>>>>>>April 18, 2008

Acct No:

THE HOME DEPOT

DEAR

Thank you for contacting us.

We have reviewed your recent letter concerning your claim that the bank has an obligation under federal law to validate the debt within 30 days of your letter. We respectfully disagree with your interpretation of the applicable laws and thus decline to respond further to your inquiry.

We have reported to the consumer reporting agencies the above account is in dispute.

Sincerely,

S. Walker Manager

CBR0006

FEDERAL REGULATIONS REQUIRE THE STATEMENT PRINTED ON THE REVERSE SIDE<<<<<

Can anyone comprehend what they are saying?  And what should i do now?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Whats my next step?

Hi Fordman,

Perhaps if you can include the text of your letter we can better understand what happened.

If you sent them a PFD (which is a plea on your knees for them to remove an item on your CR in exchange for your payment of the debt), I don't know why you would have had any reference to validation of debt.  A DV letter is for an entirely different purpose and is sent to a CA, not an OC. The law regarding debt validation doesn't apply to OCs, which may be what Home Depot meant. 
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for the quick response.  I sent out a PFD using the standard form that is listed on this forum.  here is a partial:

>>>>>

Re: Collection Account for Original Creditor Account #: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Amount: $37.00

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to inform you that the validity of this debt is disputed. The account number I have is the one listed on my Experian credit report.

In the spirit of compromise, I am willing to pay this account IN FULL if you agree to immediate deletion of this account from any and all credit reporting agencies (Equifax........<<<<<

I take it that is what they were replying about.  Its almost like they read that and they stopped.
Message 3 of 7
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

I would take that part out next time you write a PFD to insure they dont misconstrude what you are trying to do! Good Luck!
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you got it right but Home Depot send you the wrong "standard" form letter!  They were responding to a DV even though you send them a PFD.  Idiots.

I would write again but address it to a specific person.  If you want to go to the top, the CEO is:

Mr. Francis S. Blake

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

The Home Depot, Inc.

2455 Paces Ferry Road, NW

Atlanta, GA 30339

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah they glanced at it and thought it was a DV, and OC does not have to respond to DV.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If i send them another letter can i leave off the top line talking about disputing the validity and still keep it "legal"?  All this mess over $37.....
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.