cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Does Child Support Tradeline Drop Off?

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: When Does Child Support Tradeline Drop Off?

Date Reported 6/2007 Surprise the date I disputed Smiley Sad
Date Last Payment 6/2007 Wrong
Date of Last Activity 5/2005 Date this Junk was Place on Report
Actual Payment Amount 0
This line, in addition to being place on report erroneously, is fraught with errors.

Message Edited by smallfry on 05-21-2008 07:22 PM
Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

The very fact that it is on the CR hurts your score though....doesn't it? It's a matter of income to debt ratio.
Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

R8RDude wrote:
The very fact that it is on the CR hurts your score though....doesn't it? It's a matter of income to debt ratio.

Does it? It's not under collections, it's not under judgments, nothing owed. Maybe it's helping if you have short credit history?

I really have no clue. My ex and I don't do child support, thank goodness. We just split all costs 50/50, since that's how we share custody.

Good luck!
Message 13 of 29
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No it is not figured in the DTI ratio on Equifax' snappy new website.Smiley Happy Funny thing is the schedules payment amount is $4390 and has been since it first appeared. My only concern and the reason I tried a dispute last year was that under manual review child support might be a consideration if I applied for a mortgage. I don't think it helps or hurts and the age of the tradeline is my average age at 3 years. The most aggravating part of the experience was my conversation with the child support rep who told me it was never reported to Equifax. Right EQ just pulled it out of their ---. Smiley Sad
Message 14 of 29
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Shameless bump. Does this tradeline have to be reported monthly by child support to remain on my Equifax report? Sure would like to get my hands on that character if it does. No ideas on this one huh?
Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really would have thought that it would report as a "judgment" since that is how CS is usually instigated (by court order) ...

That being said, were you EVER in arrears? Did you EVER have it set to garnish your wages? And it could simply be that that is how the court itself reports it ... Virginia does it that way (at least, according to my ex, it does).

Edit: Ex had CS TL on his CRs initially ... 10 years after the judgment was in place and reported to the CRAs, it dropped off .. but then, VA SoL is 10 years for judgments. He's still in arrears, but it no longer reports for whatever reason.

I think the state you're in and the laws of that state are what's most important here ... check out the SoL on judgments reporting for your state.

Message Edited by Wonderin on 05-28-2008 08:19 PM
Message 16 of 29
fused
Moderator Emeritus

It's my understanding that unpaid child support is suppose to report as a public record and not as a derog TL. Is yours reporting as a PR or derog TL?

Message Edited by fused on 05-28-2008 05:35 PM
Message 17 of 29
smallfry
Senior Contributor

First of all I was never in arrears. Secondly it has only ever reported on Equifax. It is listed in "Other Accounts" on the true Equifax hard copy report as well as EQ Credit Watch Gold what have you.
There is a notation in my child support history section on the state website for the May inclusion date. It states "credit bureau reporting cancelled". I called the child support rep and was told that they never reported this to any of the bureaus. I think what happened was someone reported it to EQ in error and stopped there.
There is no payment history viewable on the EQ reports and on the reseller reports only the May 2005 box is checked. I disputed it last year and the dispute date now shows as date of last activity. Came back verified via E-Oscar I would guess. I am afraid to dispute it again for fear it might get picked up by TU and EX.
It is not listed in either public records or judgments. They don't seem to know where to put it so it goes into the "other" basket. Pays as agreed. Scheduled payment zero last payment zero. Credit limit zero nothing negative.
I was told that the state will randomly pick cases to send to local authorities for review. Mine was obviously OK so that must be why I have the notation credit bureau reporting canceled on May 5 2005.
I don't want to send any paperwork to EQ from my local child support agency because that will in effect validate the child support tradeline. I got a nice Catch-22 on my hands.
Jersey state law states that a parent must be over $1000 in arrears before the case is reported to the Credit Bureaus.
At first I didn't think much of it when my EQ scores were basically in line with TU and EX but now my EQ is languishing at 706 with 2 inqs. while my TU is 731 and EX with 11 inqs is 717. When I started rebuilding 1 year ago my scores were EQ 682 TU 682 and EX 674. Now I am beginning to wonder if this TL is hurting my EQ score.
So its not a judgment or a public record. If this thing is considered positive in any way I could conceivably take it to the grave no? Smiley Happy

Message Edited by smallfry on 05-29-2008 05:15 PM
Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't mean to imply that you were in arrears, just telling you what happened with my ex (who pays CS ... sometimes). :/

A VA caseworker said that they ALWAYS report it ... once it's a judgment, they report it. Usually, as I think someone else said, under "Public Records," though I really remember his saying that it was under "judgments."

Anywho, I really didn't mean to imply that you were a deadbeat dad!!

BUT, I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to fall off within 10 years ... that's how long it took my ex's to fall off. All judgments (except in rarer cases) are supposed to fall off NLT 10 years.
Message 19 of 29
smallfry
Senior Contributor

No offense taken. Smiley Happy
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.