cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Does Child Support Tradeline Drop Off?

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

When Does Child Support Tradeline Drop Off?

Been down this road before on this TL that only reports on EQ. According to my state's laws this should not be reporting because I was never in arrears. Date account shows on CR as opened is May 2005. Child support claims they never reported the account. It is not listed anywhere a a derogatory so when would it drop? 7 years 10 years Never? Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: When Does Child Support Tradeline Drop Off?

Dunno - I'm completely over my head on this one. What category does it report as (judgment, collection, etc.)?

This might do better over on Rebuilding Your Credit. If you don't get much response here, holler, and one of us will move it for you.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 29
smallfry
Senior Contributor

It reports as other. Disputed it last June came back verified in 1 day via E-Oscar I assume. I'm afraid to sir up a hornet's nest and watch it appear on all 3 bureaus. Pays as agreed. 0 balance 0 in arrears 0 past due. Nothing derog just reports as an Other account on EQ as Open. The open date and the last activity shows as May 2005 yet date of last activity shows as the dispute date of June 2007. Don't want to kick up any more dust with this just curious when it goes away. the age doesn't help since its only 3 years old anyway. Upon manual review for a mortgage when they pull all 3 bureaus I got some explaining to do. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason they list it is to hurt your chances of getting a loan or credit, since the tradeline shows a certain amount due. It's a rather vindictive system.
Message 4 of 29
smallfry
Senior Contributor

It shows nothing is due. I agree with the rest of what you said though. Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

TheNewWorldMan wrote:
The reason they list it is to hurt your chances of getting a loan or credit, since the tradeline shows a certain amount due. It's a rather vindictive system.

NWM, I think I disagree with your viewpoint.  One could look at it as punishment, but I think in reality it is an incentive to pay.  It is done as a tactic to get you paid in full.
Message 6 of 29
smallfry
Senior Contributor

The point of the thread was when the TL drops off. I can appreciate the vent but truth be told mine is reporting illegally since I never was in arrears. According to NJ law the account is only supposed to see the light of day if you are 1K or more in arrears. It never was and Eq is the only report it is on.
Message 7 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

An account won't stay on a report unless someone is continually updating it. So someone is sending this off every month like a good little bureaucrat.

I know you don't want to stir this up and have it start reporting on the others as well, but I'd worry that the stupid thing will report forever, or until the pencil-pusher who sends it in retires, or dies in their office chair and crumbles into dust.

Can you figure what the SOL is on this thing? If there is one? I just don't know anything about this, unfortunately.

We probably ought to move this over to Rebuilding. Let me know if you'd like me to. It's an odd enough topic that it doesn't really have its own obvious home.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 29
athensguy
Valued Contributor

An account won't stay on a report unless someone is continually updating it. So someone is sending this off every month like a good little bureaucrat.
I don't think that is true. You can see the last reported date on TC, for example.
Message 9 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

My bad, I thought it was continually updating... But still, my understanding is that the creditor (or whoever it is in this case) submits the info for X amount of years. I'm going to have to get my brain untangled. Smiley Tongue
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.