Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When disputing...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When disputing...

If the company cannot verify the debt, they will have to delete the account correct?

I've had a battle with space coast credit union for almost 4 months.. they have me charged off with a 97$. My car was a total loss and everything was paid for by insurance and GAP. Should I request more infomation? All they say is that I owe 97$. I want proof where those 97$ came from because GAP pays everything off that the insurance does not. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

Re: When disputing...

@Anonymous wrote:

If the company cannot verify the debt, they will have to delete the account correct?

I've had a battle with space coast credit union for almost 4 months.. they have me charged off with a 97$. My car was a total loss and everything was paid for by insurance and GAP. Should I request more infomation? All they say is that I owe 97$. I want proof where those 97$ came from because GAP pays everything off that the insurance does not. 

If you do not hear from the debt collector and the account remains on your credit reports there are a few actions you can take. First, make a complaint to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for noncompliance and let them know you want the debt deleted from your credit reports as the final resolution. Second, make a complaint to the Better Business Bureau requesting a deletion of the account due to noncompliance of the Section 809 of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Third, make a complaint to your State’s Attorney General.

Even though the Fair Credit Reporting Act allows a “disputed” notation to appear on your credit reports, there is no reason to accept that notation if a debt collector cannot prove you owe the debt with proper validation documents.

http://rebuildcreditscores.com/debt-validation-lets-you-question-the-validity-of-a-debt/

Starting all over again!
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.