Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do 30 Day lates actually nick you?

tag
professorr
Regular Contributor

When do 30 Day lates actually nick you?

I know that when you make a late payment your ok with it not nicking your CR as long as you make it before the next due date.   what happens if you missed that due date by 2 days? 

I called a CC company and they said even if you missed that due date (w/ late payment and current payment due), as long as the payment was made and applied before the billing cycle kicked out (which usually happens withing 5 days after your due date) you would not be reported to the Credit bureaus as a 30 day late.

I always thought if that LATE payment missed the true 30 day mark you would get nailed for making it 31+ days late.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: When do 30 Day lates actually nick you?

@professorr wrote:

I know that when you make a late payment your ok with it not nicking your CR as long as you make it before the next due date.   what happens if you missed that due date by 2 days? 

I called a CC company and they said even if you missed that due date (w/ late payment and current payment due), as long as the payment was made and applied before the billing cycle kicked out (which usually happens withing 5 days after your due date) you would not be reported to the Credit bureaus as a 30 day late.

I always thought if that LATE payment missed the true 30 day mark you would get nailed for making it 31+ days late.

It will vary by creditor in terms of how nitpicky they are with late payments ~ they could report you as late if you are anything more than 30 days past due.   Sounds like this creditor gives a little bit more slack which is great;  others aren't as lenient.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
professorr
Regular Contributor

Oh!  I always thought it would have been day 31, but what this creditor told me (Comenity) was that if you made that past due payment before the billing kicks in a new cycle you would be ok.  She seemed to know the policy pretty well for she didn't have to think or seek another opinion.  It makes sense. 

A payment (late payment and current) was thought to have been made online but apparently never went through (maybe forgot the click of the button) and discovered two days later when the person sighned on to look.

Message 3 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@professorr wrote:

Oh!  I always thought it would have been day 31, but what this creditor told me (Comenity) was that if you made that past due payment before the billing kicks in a new cycle you would be ok.  She seemed to know the policy pretty well for she didn't have to think or seek another opinion.  It makes sense. 

A payment (late payment and current) was thought to have been made online but apparently never went through (maybe forgot the click of the button) and discovered two days later when the person sighned on to look.

Glad they're cutting you some slack.  Other creditors are known to report late at the 30~day deliquent point, regardless of when the statement is cut.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.