Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do credit cards report to CRA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When do credit cards report to CRA

Most of my cards report the statement balance, which is 3 days after the due date, but Kohl/Cap 1 reported the balance on the last day of the month.  Synchrony/Walmart closed almost a week after the due date so the balance at that time was reported.

Message 11 of 14
kebeneezer88
Contributor

Ok, one wrinkle. 

This is for Open Sky Secured, fyi. My statement is due on 28th. The cut date is the 3rd. So last month I had balance of $65 reporting. My limit is $200.  I have charged up and then paid back down to $30 balance. Unfortunately, it takes a week for those payments with them to clear and post. So the statement amount showing when it was cut on 3/3 was $67. But my balance now is $30.

So if last month it was $65 and it posts to CRA as $67, will it make my score lower/look bad as if I have not paid anything? 

Sorry to be so obtuse and detailed. Just trying to get that score up to 600 and keep utilization low. They all seem stuck now at 560 to 580. Have Open Sky, Limited, Express, Brylane and Fingerhut, which I just paid off and waiting to see what limit they will give. About to fund Capital One secured for $200. 

Message 12 of 14
kebeneezer88
Contributor

Oh, and Open Sky reports on last day of month, looks like.  

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't about it showing IF you paid...as long as you paid at least your MINIMUM due you get the 35% regarding 'on-time' payment Where the rubber meets the road is the 30% given towards your until ratio or DTC (debt to Credit line ratio) Ex: 67/200 = 33.5% is higher than you'd like You want to have a reported ratio targeted below 30% 10-29% is ok 1-9% is ideal So a $57 bal / $200CL = 28.5% = Good But $17 bal / $200CL = 8.5% = Great If your GOAL is to BUILD...MHO is to NOT charge much of ANYTHING on a 'toy limit' card, especially one that takes long to process payments. Let's honest it's a building block or 'toy card' use it as such NEVER have more than $20-$30 bucks on that sucker anyway...that way you don't have to sweat it such much if they 'slow' process as you 'try' to pay down a 'high' ratio on a 'play card'....just don't 'play' with it. Keep the balance low as crap and pay it as soon as the statement cuts , thus showing 'some usage' but at a GREAT ratio that way you kill 2 birds with one stone the on time payments rack up + the ratios 'look' great and the score builds no fuss no muss... Ex: Statement cut the 2nd but Due Date is the 27th As soon as the statement cuts on the 2nd with say a $17 bal (that info is sent to CRAs) Go ahead and pay the $17 on the 3rd (now you've already collected your 'on-time' payment well before the 27th...remember that is all that was DUE by the 27th and the 'on-time' payment requirement has been met + your ratio % was already sent on the 2nd...you are GOLDEN) I always send in at least my MINIMUM due the day after the statement cuts (that way...there is NEVER a chance in heck of a 'late') THEN you still have 24 days or 3.5 weeks to pay towards your debt with regard to FREE money at no % etc (again that's once you start having cards with limits big enough to use....but again IMO with 'toy cards' just do yourself a favor and use them ONLY for building purposes NOT to actually 'buy' anything ....there is NO ROOM and the chances of doing yourself harm is too great to mess around with the ratios..... Think about the 'worst' case you want is to have 25% usage, so that's $50 bucks..so WHY play around..it's a 'toy gun' don't wave it around like you have a real one or you might get hurt....just sayingSmiley Wink
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.