cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do negatives ACTUALLY fall off?

tag

When do negatives ACTUALLY fall off?

We are repairing our credit to apply for a mortgage in 4 months and my husband has a negative account (collection) that is supposed to fall off this month. We just completed some disputes for his report and saw that TL is there with no "this account is scheduled to be removed XX date" information- does that mean its preparing to disappear or is it not going to fall off yet for some strange reason?

Do negatives disappear from the report at the end of the month?

Also- is there often a difference in the removal date of a negative TL between the different CRAs? For example, the account I am mentioning above is scheduled to fall off Experian this month but is not scheduled to fall off Transunion until July (still within our 4 months) but why the difference?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: When do negatives ACTUALLY fall off?

@creditisgoodgoingforgreat wrote:

We are repairing our credit to apply for a mortgage in 4 months and my husband has a negative account (collection) that is supposed to fall off this month. We just completed some disputes for his report and saw that TL is there with no "this account is scheduled to be removed XX date" information- does that mean its preparing to disappear or is it not going to fall off yet for some strange reason?

Do negatives disappear from the report at the end of the month?

Also- is there often a difference in the removal date of a negative TL between the different CRAs? For example, the account I am mentioning above is scheduled to fall off Experian this month but is not scheduled to fall off Transunion until July (still within our 4 months) but why the difference?

Usually they are scheduled 7-7.5 years from the DOFD. With EX things dont drop till he first full weekend of the following month, for the other 2 they can drop anytime during the month. If this account has already reached the max 7.5 yrs you would dispute it as too old to remain on file.

Message 2 of 4
creditdemon
New Contributor

Hope this helps! I called TU today about an item scheduled to fall off this month.  The first guy said he didn't know the date it would fall off but that he could file a claim.  I said I would think about it and call back.  The second person said it would fall off on May 15th, so I didnt file a claim.  Now I am just hoping that means it will be GONE on the 15th!! I really need to apply for car loan. 

Message 3 of 4
azguy13
Senior Contributor

As another user already stated, the CRAs have that additional 180 days to delete the TL once it has hit the 7 year mark. With that being said, you can either dispute the TL or call the CRA directly and have it removed. 

Just make sure it has hit that 7 year mark before you dispute as this forum does not advocate disputing correct information. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.