Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When one accouns show as two on a CR

tag
dwdwone
New Visitor

When one accouns show as two on a CR

I had a chargeoff with Capital One, and the account was purchased by PRA. When I count the number of derogatory reports on my CR, it appears that the account is being "counted" twice. Can anyone give me some guidance on this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Re: When one accouns show as two on a CR

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by it's being counted twice. You have a CO account with Capital One, and a collection account with PRA who purchased the CapOne. Is that what you mean by counted twice?

The original account should be marked as chargeoff and sold or paid, but it can remain on your report for 7 to 7 1/2 yrs. from the DOFD (date of first delinquency.)
Message 2 of 11
dwdwone
New Visitor

When I look at the number of derogatory accounts at the top of my credit report, and I add up the same from the detail, both accounts are included. For example, the "count" at the top says 5 derogatory accounts, which seemed odd since I was only aware of 4. So I examined the reports, and learned that two were the same account: one was the original chargeoff, which does have a 0 balanc, and the second was the purchased account.

Message 3 of 11
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

They are both derogatory accounts. From the way you are describing, the report is correct. A collection account doesn't replace the original. The original remains as part of your history.
Message 4 of 11
dwdwone
New Visitor

I guess here is where I'm confused. There appear to be two derogatory accounts for the same debt. Is this normal?

Message 5 of 11
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

I'm in the exact same situation as you, I have two derogs (the only last two) on all three CRA. One is a charge off from Capital One which I tried to get it removed 10 times now from GW Letters, no luck and a Collection Account from PRA which was bough from CapOne. So annoying. I'm going to try to PFD PRA.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 6 of 11
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@dwdwone wrote:

I guess here is where I'm confused. There appear to be two derogatory accounts for the same debt. Is this normal?

Yes, that is normal. You have the OC reporting a Charge-Off account and the CA who is trying to collect on that same account. The OC sold the debt to the CA. 

Message 7 of 11
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

@dwdwone wrote:

Yes, that is normal. You have the OC reporting a Charge-Off account and the CA who is trying to collect on that same account. The OC sold the debt to the CA. 

What is some advice to tackle this? I have the same account show up too, one as CO, and one as a Collection account.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 8 of 11
Anonnamus

I would like to know the same thing. If I send them a PFD and they accept, with both derogs be deleted from my CR?
Message 9 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If the OC still owns the account contact them and see if they will allow you to pay them and recall the debt from the CA.  If they do, the CA has to delet their TL.

If the OC doesn't own the account, the CA does and you will have to work with them.  If you know the debt is yours and can PIF, offer a PFD.  If they accept, their TL will be removed but not the OCs.  They are each responsible for the reporting of their own TL.

Once paid, send a GW letter to the OC and ask if they will removed.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.