cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When sending a DV request, what info are you required to provide??

tag
TimeOnMySide
New Contributor

When sending a DV request, what info are you required to provide??

Are you required to give anything besides your name, address, and the CA account number as it appears on you CR?  Are you supposed to give your SSN?  I don't want to give them anything they're not entitled to.

"[Takes] a whole lot of tryin'...just to get up that hill" Jefferson's theme song. I wanna move on Up!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When sending a DV request, what info are you required to provide??

You're never required to give them anything!  Remember, the burden of proof relies on them!!  But if you know the debt is legit, you may want to be a bit more up front with them!   At the end of the day, they're looking to get as much money as they can.  
Message Edited by FicoJimmy on 03-09-2010 02:05 PM
Message 2 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You only have to give them the account number as it appears on your CR.  Nothing else.
Message 3 of 6
TimeOnMySide
New Contributor

That's what I was hoping, thank you!
"[Takes] a whole lot of tryin'...just to get up that hill" Jefferson's theme song. I wanna move on Up!
Message 4 of 6
beehive
Regular Contributor

What if they respond with wanting the actual account number,and, and last 4 digits of social? I have one respond with that  saying they can not locate my account and need that to proceed with my request. I dont have the actual account number, I gave them what is reporting on my credit report.

Officially a Home Owner !
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Ignore them. 

Give them back only as much as they provided in their dunning notice, and nothing more.  If you did that in your original DV letter, there is nothing at all to be gained by even responding to them. I would ignore them.  Dont even write to tell them you wont provide the requested info. 

They are still under the cessation of collection actiity prohibition of FDCPA 809(b) until such time as they validate.  It is not your responsibility to assist them in their validation.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.