cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When the CRA's don't verify debt and side with the Collection Agencies.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When the CRA's don't verify debt and side with the Collection Agencies.

I applied for a VA home Loan to find out that I had some collection's that were not mine and instead of going thru the process of fighting the Collection Agencies I took the advice  of the Loan Company and Paid them off. I had made agreements with these Companies for pay for Deletion although some of them refused to honor this and I filed disputes with the CRA's, the CRA's I feel didn't verify the Items and Validated all of the ones I had disputed. I have since filed Consumer complaints with the Att. Gen., FTC and with ACA International which has got some relief from some of the false reporting, My FICO score took a hit from this and I do understand that the CRA's get most of the money they earn from the lenders but they should be fair when a dispute comes from a Consumer, this is our lives and we are treated as if we are criminals in this game of Credit. If a Collection Agency put's false statements in your Credit report do they have to delete the account or item they placed in the report?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: When the CRA's don't verify debt and side with the Collection Agencies.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, you learn from experience. 

The lender really only wants to see the account paid, they do not care if it gets removed or not.   

If you got it in writing that the CA would delete the account, you at least have a leg to stand on in getting them deleted.  If you do not you may find it harder to do.

When you dispute with a CRA all they do is verify the account is supposed to be there.  They can do it using a database called EOscar, mail or phone.  If the CA says it is your account, then it is verified.  If the account is in EOscar, it is verified.  It does not mean it is yours, just that the CA says it is, for whatever reason.

One way to take care of this is to send the CA a DV letter.  It makes them have to prove the account is yours and they can legally collect on it.

You can still do this even though it has been paid.

You can also contact the OC of the account and ask them if it is yours.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.