Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to pay off credit card

tag
OSUBucks1218
Established Member

When to pay off credit card

I'm so confused what and when to pay my credit cards. It seems that they always report the highest balance I carried for the month. Even though I paid the card off before the due date. How much do I charge and when do I pay it off so I reflects the most positively on my credit report??? Thx!!! I hope I figure all of this out someday :-)
3/5/13 TU 558, Experian 558 Equifax 552
3/19/13 TU 619 Experian 551 Equifax 558
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
solstice00
Regular Contributor

Re: When to pay off credit card

Usually the card report balances in between 4-6 days before the statement closes.

Try to pay them every week. It is a good habit. The more youtry to pay from your bank account, the more conscious you will be of your spending habits(Its like some of us, like me, don't understand the harm of spending sprees unless I see my amounts subtracted from my bank account)

And once you try paying them off weekly, your balance will be a lot less.  Rotate your cards. And make sure the full balance(utilization) stays between 1-7% for optimum effect on the score.

"Its your AAoA, Sir. It seems, Sir, that it is so short that i dont think it would hurt for it to get a little shorter"
Message 2 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@OSUBucks1218 wrote:
I'm so confused what and when to pay my credit cards. It seems that they always report the highest balance I carried for the month. Even though I paid the card off before the due date. How much do I charge and when do I pay it off so I reflects the most positively on my credit report??? Thx!!! I hope I figure all of this out someday :-)

Pay your bill 3 days before statement cut date to be safe and that should give it enough time to post to your account'

That's what i do also remember to leave 1 card reporting a small balanceSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed. The "due date" is not the date when the balance is reported. Check your CC statement for the "statement date" or "as of" date. This typically is your "cut date". If unsure, call your CC company to inquire on the exact statement cut date (many will also change this date for you if you find it convenient to take place at another day during the month). As the others said, make your payment approx 3-days prior to this cut date then *hold* until after the new statement is avail.

Remember though, you must still make at least the minimum payment indicated after the new statement cuts otherwise you could potentially end up with a baddie Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

PS - for me, I created calendar reminders that beep me each month 5, 3, 1, and day-of for each of mine so that I'll not have an excuse to missing one Smiley Wink. Gotta luv that Google Calendar stuff!

As far as how much to charge ... YMMV and it is simply IMHO but I've heard many say they'll charge up to 75%-90% of the CL during the month to show high usage ... but *always* get that back down prior to the statement cut date.  As an example for me:  My Amex has a CL of $1300 but looking at February I charged a total of ~$3000 to the card and made sure it cut at a low UTIL.  Often, I'll use the card then two or three days later simply go online and make a payment for the amount of those purchases.  Not only does that prevent you from going into a high UTIL but it can also prevent interest from being calculated. Again ... YMMV and this is simply IMHO.  More experienced FICO-gurus may have additional details or be able to correct me Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
PS - for me, I created calendar reminders that beep me each month 5, 3, 1, and day-of for each of mine so that I'll not have an excuse to missing one Smiley Wink. Gotta luv that Google Calendar stuff!

+10000 me too

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 10
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Call your creditor and ask them when do they report to the CRA's

Message 7 of 10
HiLine
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

What if you have 15 cards to manage? Robot Frustrated

OP, please refer to a similar thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Question-about-Chase-Freedom-s-100-signup-offer/m-p/1950759#M541072 Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

8,000 beeps from Google per month? :0

Message 9 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

8,000 beeps from Google per month? :0

Lol agreed whatever it takes to get it done right...Smiley Very Happy

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.