cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When you dispute something, does it exclude that account from factoring into your score?

tag
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

When you dispute something, does it exclude that account from factoring into your score?

It has been hell trying to get these student loans from Sallie Mae to stop reporting as credit, with me over some kind of credit limit. It's killing my utilization. I disputed this several weeks ago and after the dispute was "resolved", these loans were still showing as credit and my utilization was unchanged.

Last week I filed a complaint with the consumer protection bureau and the result lead to a re-investigation of this account, well actually my student loans are listed as three separate accounts because they are three separate loans.

Today Score Watch detected the dispute and my Equifax score went from 602 to 633. Does this mean the student loan accounts are not factoring in to my score while the dispute is in process? If so, why didn't my score jump like this a few weeks ago when I filed the initial dispute?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: When you dispute something, does it exclude that account from factoring into your score?

Yes, if it is from the OC then certain aspects of the account are excluded.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Re: When you dispute something, does it exclude that account from factoring into your score?

@Shogun wrote:

Yes, if it is from the OC then certain aspects of the account are excluded.

The loans total about 32.5k. Does the 31 point jump indicate the balance is being excluded right now, or is it the much better utilization (since it's showing as credit) that would cause such a jump? Also, why would I see this jump with the re-investigation but no jump with the original investigation?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.