Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Do I Start

tag
mtditch
Established Member

Where Do I Start

Hi All,

This year has been rough for me. I was in a car accidents and I was laid off from my job. Both events impacted my ability to make timely payments and now I am stuck with a 5 collection/charge-offs accounts and a few late payment marks. Things are much stable now, so I would like to work on rebuilding my credit. Ive read a lot on this forum, but to be honest, its a lot of information to digest. I understand it trial and error, but I honestly dont know where I should begin.  I welcome all feedback.

Below are the informaiton of my collection account.

Diversified Consultnts
Opened July 28, 2017
$228
Original creditor: 11 COMCAST

Amshercollectionservices
Opened July 25, 2017
$1,201
Original creditor: 11 T MOBILE

Ncb Managment Services
Opened December 22, 2016
$3,292
Original creditor: 12 RISE CREDIT OF GEORGIA LLC D

Eastern Account System,
Opened July 10, 2017
$118
Original creditor: 11 CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS

Eastern Account System,
Opened July 10, 2017
$164
3 REPLIES 3
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

Re: Where Do I Start

Do you have any open cards still? If not, search for secured cards here. You need at least some open credit(a many as three CCs). Try to avoid cards that don't "graduate" to unsecured, it ones with monthly/annual fees.

Do you have any active installment loans? If not, search the SSL technique.

Are you able to keep up with your current obligations? If not, handle those first. If yes, start work on two things: 1) an emergency fund, and 2) dealing with the collections.

Use the site search for each original creditor. See if they have a record of pulling items back from the collection agency if you offer to pay them directly. You should be able to get the collections removed after paying them off (this is my understanding, others may offer more accurate information). Attempt this several times, before moving on to the next option.

Use the site search for the collection agencies themselves. Some are able to be convinced to Pay For Delete the collection with a full or partial payoff.

Wait. It only takes a short period to screw your credit up, but it can take years to rebuild.
2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 2 of 4
mtditch
Established Member

Thanks for responding. I have 4 credit card, student loans and car loan. They are all in good standing. I'm going to try the PFD letters, but who do I send it to the collection agency or the orginial creditor?

Message 3 of 4
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

@mtditch wrote:

Thanks for responding. I have 4 credit card, student loans and car loan. They are all in good standing. I'm going to try the PFD letters, but who do I send it to the collection agency or the orginial creditor?

You send them to the company that is actually reporting the account.  The OC can't agree to delete a CA reporting so if they're all CA's then send to them.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.