Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I go from here?

tag
rose3040
New Visitor

Where do I go from here?

Last year, I pulled my and my husband's credit reports to find there was one derogatory remark on his report.  I called the collections agency and asked for an explanation.  They claimed that it was for a supposed late cancellation of a doctor's appointment for $100 (a doctor I had gone to once for a consultation).  I asked about it being removed from his report, because it was erroneous and they said it couldn't be removed, of course.  I asked at that point that they send me written verification. No such letter came.  Within the month, it was also then reported on my credit report.  I disputed it at that time with all the credit bureaus and  the collection was validated.

In January, I sent a certified return receipt letter offering payment in full for deletion of the debt without taking on any blame.  I received no response.  Two months later, I called to follow up on the letter and after a long hold was told that 'I could pay, but it couldn't be removed, because it is ligitimate".  I ended the conversation by saying that this will not be paid unless it is removed because it is not ligitimate.  I sent a certified return receipt MOV letter to all 3 credit bureaus in parallel with online disputes.  Transunion removed the item entirely, almost immediately, from both of our credit reports.  However, I've just gotten notice from both Experian and Equifax, after a month, that it remains the same and has even been 'updated'.  I haven't received any documents offering verification of the debt, just the same remark with the name and address of the collection agency and the medical provider.

My question is, where do I go from here?  I am seriously considered approaching the doctor's office, but I'm not sure it would help because it seems like they no longer own the debt.  Is there something I can send the credit reporting agencies to force them to actually check into this?

Thanks so much.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Where do I go from here?

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

I'd start from scratch. By law (per the FDCPA) your request for debt validation has to be made in writing. I'd mail them a DV letter. Once they receive your DV they have an unlimited amount of time to respond, and that's assuming they will respond. By law, the DV had to have been sent within 30 days from their initial collection efforts. However, most CAs will respond quickly. If they verify and you agree, then mail the PFD again (IMO, skip sending it CMRRR).  .....If they didn't respond to the new DV, then send another after 6 weeks or so. If they don't respond to that, then sometimes you can wake them up by complaining to the FTC, BBB, etc.

You can also approach the OC as mentioned. Usually medical CAs only collect and don't buy medical debts (though not always). You can ask the OC to see if they would pull it back from collections if you pay them. But definitely send the DV to the CA now.

Message 2 of 4
rose3040
New Visitor

Thank you!

I'll be sending a DV letter straight away.  I'm nearly certain that this debt was sold and thus does not belong to the medical provider any longer. After a quick google search, this collection agency (as I'm sure most are) is notorious for unscrupulous practices in trying to collect on medical debts. 

My biggest question boils down to the fact that I offered to pay in full and they didn't take me up on it.  Why?!?!?!?

Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@rose3040 wrote:

My biggest question boils down to the fact that I offered to pay in full and they didn't take me up on it.  Why?!?!?!? 

While some medical-based CAs do accept PFDs, you'll find that a large majority of OCs and CAs don't accept PFDs. Why? Sometimes it boils down to not talking to the right person or department. Most of the CSRs you talk to via mail/phone/e-mail, etc. don't even have the authority to make a legal agreement with anyone, yet alone decided to accept a payment or make a deletion promise (usually there are only a small number of people who can even delete within a given company). Another reason is time. The CSR you talked to has to rifle through a zillion names and taking time out for an agreement like that takes up too much time. Other OCs/CAs also strictly read the FCRA as not being able to delete in the first place, since the FCRA says they have to report accurately.

Sending PFDs is also a numbers game. It might take 100+ PFDs before you find the right person. Never give up on the first try.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.