Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I start

tag
andersk08
New Contributor

Where do I start

Hey All. Let me give a brief snapshot of the situation I got myself in. Currently have 10 collections. I’d say half are medical. And 24 store credit cards charged off a little over 2 years ago. I have a current car loan but it was 30-60-90 days behind a few times. On the positive side I have a $900 secured capital one card in good standing for 12 months, a Bank of America secured card for $500 in good standing ( 1 Month old ) and a capital one platinum unsecured card for $300 ( 1 Month old ). Where do I start to repair? I make too much for a chapter 7 I believe. I won’t make excuses as to why my credit is in the 400s because it’s all due to me being irresponsible. Please point me in the right direction.
Starting Scores: ( 9-9-14 )
Equifax FICO - 507 TransUnion FICO - 580 Experian FICO - 535
Current Scores: (10-08-14)
Equifax FICO - 552 TransUnion FICO - 639 Experian FICO - 609
ALL pulled from MyFico 3 Bureau Monitoring
Goal Score - 650 Across the board ( For Starters )
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Where do I start

OK - so you're in for a bit of work.
1. Find out the SOL (statute of limitations) for debt collection in your state. You can still be sued for debt if its within the SOL.
2. Get paper copies of all 3 reports.

Non-Medical Collection Items

*Do a search in fico forums for "medical collections" for tips in dealing with those. 
I'm assuming you've already been contacted by these collection agencies and never responded, which means you've lost your right to request debt validation or dispute ownership of the debt (you have to do this within 30 days of notification from the debt collector).

---- Anything outside of SOL: start disputing with all three bureaus to verify the debt. There's a chance the collection agency will not be able to verify, or won't respond, and the item will be deleted.
- If the disputes come back verified, send letters to the collection agencies asking for a pay for delete (aka, PFD, an agreement that if you pay in full, they will delete from your reports).   If they refuse, don't pay anything. If they agree, get it in writing.  Paid and unpaid collections hurt your credit score the same.

---- Anything within SOL:
- Contact the original creditors and confirm that the debt has been sold to the collection agency. Sometimes, the debt has only been assigned for collection, but the original creditor still owns the debt.  If the original creditor still owns the debt, see if you can pay them directly.  If so, ask them to recall the collection and then you can request the collection agency delete the item from your reports.

-IF the debt has, in fact, been sold to the collection agency:
-contact them in writing and offer a PFD.  If they agree, great, get it in writing. If they refuse, then go ahead and settle and pay the debt so they don't sue you. The last thing you need is a judgement on your reports.

Charge Offs
Determine if you have a charge-off and collection showing for the same account. If so, determine if the debt was sold or just assigned;  if just assigned, deal with the original creditor first.  If sold - deal with the collection agency as stated above.

Scour your paper reports and look for any errors or inaccurate information you can find. If you find anything, dispute it with the original creditor (you can find example 623 letters by googling):

FCRA Section 623(a)(8) allows the consumer to follow up with the data furnisher if they believe that the previously disputed account is innacurate by requesting an investigation be done by the furnisher to prove the accuracy of what has been reported. Do this by mail, and send it certified USPS. The furnisher has 30 days to conduct and complete an investigation and notify the consumer of the results. If the furnisher does not comply, they may be fined and must remove the tradeline. If the furnisher finds the tradelines are inaccurate, they must update immediately, or again, be fined and remove the tradeline. If the furnisher responds that the tradeline is reported accuratately and you have proof it is inaccurate, you may now file a complaint and send an intent to sue letter with proof they are knowingly furnishing inaccurate information. You can offer to settle for a deletion.

If there are no errors and the debts have not yet been sold to a collection agency, then they are still likely reporting a balance on your reports, which is increasing your overall utilization.  You need to pay these - either settle or pay in full - so contact the creditors. Once the account is paid, ask that they report it as paid / charged-off.  The most important thing is the balance will be reduced to zero and the creditor will no longer update the account data - allowing the account to age and lessen the ding to your score. You'll probably see a score boost for the lowered utilization.  If you can't pay them all at once, then pay the ones with the highest utilization ratio first. utilization = balance / credit limit.  Anything over 30% is considered high.

Car Loan
You're best bet here are goodwill letters.  Find the contact information for executives within the company and start sending letters basically apologizing for your defaults and expressing your desire to do better.  You are relying on someone with a soft heart to agree to remove those late payment indicators from your reports. Don't give up on this.  If they refuse the first time, wait a couple of months and try again. You only need one softy to feel sorry for you. Be honest in your letter and take responsiblity.

Positive Account Maintenance
Do not app for any new credit during this repair process. Maintain the 3 cards you have.  Keep low overall utilization.  Pay two cards down to zero before their statements cut so they report zero on your reports, and pay down the third card so that it reports a balance of less than 8.9%. Do this religiously to squeeze out the max amount of fico points.

Be patient. This will take some time.
Keep records of EVERYTHING.

Learn how FICO works.
Read FCRA rules so you know your rights.
Ask questions if you get stuck or are unsure about anything.

Good luck!

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many months of income do you have saved in your emergency savings?

See my 11 rules signature link to start. And my FICO score, what to pay down link second.

I followed both those posts to go from low 500s to 700s in 7-8 months in 2017.
Message 3 of 7
andersk08
New Contributor

I have a nice savings and a very good income. Just made bad decisions
Message 4 of 7
andersk08
New Contributor

Excellent information. Thanks so much
Message 5 of 7
andersk08
New Contributor

Fantastic info tmr. I appreciate all of it
Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The direct dispute process (FCRA 623(a)(8)) is an alternative to filing a dispute with a CRA.  It permits the consumer to file the dispute directly with the furnisher (i.e., creditor or debt collector), and receive the results of investigation directly from the furnisher.

However, you cannot use the direct dispute process after having disputed via a CRA, thus requiring the furnisher to again investigate the same dispute.  The implementing rules for the direct dispute process explicitly permits any dispute that is substantially the same as a prior dispute that was completed by a CRA to be dismissed by the furnisher without any investigation as being frivolous or irrelevant.  You choose one or the other, and cannot use both.  See 16 CFR 660.4(f).

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.