Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I start??

tag
hautemama
Regular Contributor

Where do I start??

I need major help!  I used to have good credit, but since going back to school and working per diem status I got way behind in billsSmiley Sad I would like to dramatically improve my credit report and scores, but am clueless where and how to start?  I was wondering if I should pull all three credit report and scores to get a baseline? And which website would be the most accurate and friendly on the pockets.  Also would like a credit monitoring site so that I can keep track of my progress!  I would love any and all recommendations.  I have student loans, car loans, credit cards and maybe one collection pending? Lots of lates on my student loans due to financial difficulty!  My goals are to get the best type of credit cards with low interest rates and buying a house in the near future (I just finally got a great paying new job).  I used to have an American Express clear card and loved it.. But they closed my account after a few months because I was only making the minimum payments, would I be able to have another later??

I think that's it for my questions for the moment.  PLEASE HELP!!!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Re: Where do I start??

as far as the credit reports are concerned, go through annualcreditreport.com.  It's free of charge every 12 months for ALL 3 CBs. 

And with monitoring, I would suggest myfico Score Watch. 

I'm sure others will repsond shortly with additional suggestions

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!  Smiley Happy

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 2 of 3
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Where do I start??

Hi there - You say you might have a collection "pending."  Does that mean if you pay it ASAP it won't hit your reports?  If so, beg/borrow/steal to get it paid so it doesn't get on your reports.  Getting them off can be impossible. 

annualcreditreport.com offers all 3 for free.  But make sure you are at a computer where you can print them off, because they don't let you log back in and see it.

Good Luck!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.