Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you find DOFD information?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do you find DOFD information?

Let me premise this with I am newbie. I am in the midst of doing my Credit 101 reading but have a burning couple of questions.

I understand the importance of the DOFD which is what ages your account on CR. Right?

Question #1. If you have multiple instances you have been late (lets say 30 days, does each late have to stay 7 years on your report?

Question #2 Where do you find the DOFD on your CR? or is this something you have to call the OR to get if it is prior to the typical 2 year reporting history shown on CR?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Where do you find DOFD information?

Each individual delinquency reported by the OC on their account remains in your CR for 7 years from its individual date of delinquency.  FCRA 605(a)(5). 

DOFD enters into the picture for COs and for CAs reported by a collection agency.  Under FCRA 605(c), they remain for 7 1/2 years from the date of first (30-day) default in the most recent chain of delinquencies that let up to the CA.

The best way to determine your DOFD is from your personal account records.  If you dont have complete records, go to the monthly reporting of individual deliquencies posted to your CR (red and green boxes). Find the last 30-day delinquency.  This is your DOFD.  If you had a 30-day delinquency, then brought the account back into good standing, and then had another 30-day late, the later 30-day late resets your DOFD..

The other importance of the DOFD is that, in most states, this sets your original term for running of the SOL.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do I find SOL for my state? I live in Kentucky.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. One more thing.

If a CA purchased the debt and now is reporting 120 days late all of a sudden; is this the DOFD.

I have not entered into any agreement with them, now or in the past so; how can they report 120 days late?

Is this legal?

Is is AFNI by the way on a old Cingular wireless account. This company later became part of AT & T back in 2007.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The DOFD is the date you were late and never brought the account current again, right before it was CO'd or went to collections.

Going to collectons has no impact on the DOFD.  The CA must use the same DOFD as the OC.  This is set by the OC and can not be changed.

CAs can not report lates or report themselves as the OC.

Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info. One more thing.

If a CA purchased the debt and now is reporting 120 days late all of a sudden; is this the DOFD.

I have not entered into any agreement with them, now or in the past so; how can they report 120 days late?

Is this legal?

Is is AFNI by the way on a old Cingular wireless account. This company later became part of AT & T back in 2007.

Thanks again.

The DOFD is the date you were late and never brought the account current again, right before it was CO'd or went to collections.

Going to collectons has no impact on the DOFD.  The CA must use the same DOFD as the OC.  This is set by the OC and can not be changed.

CAs can not report lates or report themselves as the OC.

The DOFD is before it went to collections.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The KY SOL is set, for open-ended (CC) debt by KRS 413.120 at five years.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.