Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to Begin?

tag
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Re: Where to Begin?

The 3 medical bills that were paid... did you pay the original creditor or the collection agency?

Also NFCU approved my husband for the Nrewards card for 5,000.00 with a TU score of 563. EQ Score of 566 . And cap 1 denied him even for a secured card.

He has 3 collections paid, 1 judgement, not paid.

I applied on line via thier website and so did he. Theres a ton of information about NFCU from NFCU members in the credit card section.

I cant say enough about NFCU Smiley LOL

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 11 of 17
Athena123
Valued Member

Ktl-
The AFNI account isn't too much of an amount, and I would really just like it taken care of.
I did send them a DV letter, and they still haven't responded. So.. Maybe paying it in full like you suggested would just be the easiest thing to do!

As for the medical collections, I paid one to the collection agency (which included $250 in interest and fees. Ouch.) and the other two to the hospital directly.
I sent PFD letters to the remaining collection agencies two weeks ago when I posted this question. I worded them very politely! =) Since then, I only heard anything from one of them... Which was an unopened returned letter.. So. I'm still waiting!
My husband just deployed on Saturday, so when he gets back I'll have him look into a Navy Federal credit card. I really wish he could have done it before deploying so he could be passively building some sort of score!
I'll give them a call about one for me once I get this mess cleaned up! =) thank you so much for all the wonderful advice. It really is appreciated!
Message 12 of 17
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

I had medical bills as well that I paid the OC and this is one GW letter I used to the CA and they removed:

Hello,

While going over my credit reports, I noticed that you had a listing that has been paid. I ask that you show a gesture of goodwill and remove this posting from my credit report.

My husband and I moved after my hospital stay for his new job. I thought his insurance had paid everything. One day while going through some boxes unpacking I found a bill from Western MI Pathology Assoc.  Not knowing if it was paid and we had too many boxes yet to go through to find the insurance papers we just paid it so we knew its paid. I wrote out a check and mailed it. They cashed it and that bill was taken care of or they would refund it if it were paid already by the insurance. We have always been good about paying our bills and had great credit.

We have decided to try buying a house next year since my husband has a great secure job and things are going great so I pulled our credit reports to see what our scores are and seen your listing.

It was a simple honest mistake that could potentially harm my chances of a new home. Please consider a goodwill gesture to help us continue improving our future. It would mean so much to me to finally be a homeowner and not a renter.

I thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you. Wishing you Happy Holidays.

KTL72455

If the CA has not responded, contact the OC and see if you can pay the bill and then send CA a GW letter... or just pay OC and send CA a GW letter saying you paid OC with out realizing it was a collection... play dumb , even if you know it is a collection... they dont know.

If you are employed or have any sorce of income you can set up your own savings account with NFCU for 5.00 and apply yourself.

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 13 of 17
Athena123
Valued Member

I just wanted to say thank you for so much help. My husband and I financed a vehicle through Pacific Marine Credit Union with a 3% interest rate, following paying off all remaining collections on my report. (None would do a pay for delete, and AFNI has not responded to any "Goodwill" letters thus far.)
However, his nonexistent credit score went to a 675 (Equifax) and mine to a 706 (Equifax as well--even with collections still present on the report!!!)

We have yet to check the other two bureaus, however I was so ecstatic I couldn't help but post an ENORMOUS thank you for all the advice we received!!! Now we will be applying for a couple credit cards I suppose just to keep some accounts open, since the auto loan will obviously not be open after it is paid off.

Feels like owning a home may not be so far away after all! Thank you thank you thank you!!
Message 14 of 17
trying_to_B_good
Contributor

There are only a handful of AFNI'S in the US. Mostly there collect for verizon wireless. I used to work there a decade ago.....God i'm gettin oldSmiley LOL

Message 15 of 17
Athena123
Valued Member

Apparently the AFNI account was for a Verizon Wireless bill... However.. I currently have and have had Verizon Wireless (without a lapse) as my service provider since I was 18. I went ahead and paid the bill.. The balance wasn't very large, and have been trying to see if they will remove it from my report, but to no avail. Oh well.. I only have to wait until Ferbruary and it should come off according to my credit report.

Haha a decade isn't too long ago!! =) at least it wasn't something like a quarter century ago! Smiley Wink
Message 16 of 17
Just4Me2
New Visitor

That is good information and I would like to use this option. Can you please provide the e-mail address to AFNI that you used to send the GW letter. Thank you in advance!

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.