Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to Send DV Letter When New CA Takes Account

tag
itgirl74
Frequent Contributor

Where to Send DV Letter When New CA Takes Account

I'm just beginning the process of rebuilding my credit and have learned so much from this site. I have several collection accounts on my report, one of which is an old credit card account with a $750 balance. That account has been with Cavalry Portfolio Services for a while, and I was just preparing to send them a DV letter, followed by a PFD letter, when I got a settlement offer from a different CA, J.C. Christensen. Now I have several questions.

To which CA do I send the DV letter?

If Cavalry has sold the account to J.C. Christensen, will J.C. Christensen have the ability to remove that account from my report?

If not, will there be any way to convince Calvary to do it?

Do I have to worry about J.C. Christensen reporting to the CRAs and adding a new collection?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Starting Score: EQ: 478 | EX: 499 | TU: 534 Current Score:EQ: 759 | EX: 805 | TU: 830 Goal Score: 800
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Where to Send DV Letter When New CA Takes Account

To be on the safe side, you should send the DV letter to both CA's.

The CA's can only remove what THEY put on your credit report.

So, no, J.C. CHristensen can not remove what Cavalry has put on your reports.

It's possible that Calavry contacted J.C. C to collect for them and still own the account.  Best way to find out is to send the DV letters.

Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

DV both as already recommended, only one CA cn report at a time on the same debt, its possible neither CA actually owns the debt and that they are acting on behalf of the OC.

Message 3 of 4
itgirl74
Frequent Contributor

Thanks to you both. DV letters were sent to both CAs today.

Starting Score: EQ: 478 | EX: 499 | TU: 534 Current Score:EQ: 759 | EX: 805 | TU: 830 Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.