Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to begin

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where to begin

Hello

I am 36, and cant even get a Food Lion Card.  When I was younger, family used my name to get stuff.  This has of course since fallen off but I have always had a hard time from that strigma and was never taught to care for credit properly...    So today...  I have a car loan thats joint..  I drive and pay the very expensive not.  I want that to be refinanced in my name only.  I have a Verizon (908)<<(how is it that high?  I have no idea) and Tmobile (1078) <<(how is it that high?  I have no idea)  account in collections.  An amazon account in collections (831)  <<(how is it that high?  I have no idea) it was 500.  The only other thing that is on my accoount are school loans that I didnt care for and I am currently rehabbing.  But the loan servicer and the collection accounts are all reporting negatively on my account.    even though I am rehabbing nothing has changed.  oh and like 200 gas bill.  Do I just call these collectors and beghin paying it?  will it change?  do I dispute the amounts because it's not plausible to me.  I dont have a bunch of money sitting around I am basically 2 jobs and check to check.  How can I persude my C/U to loan me 3500 and I pay that stuff off and kjust have a stable repay amount to them only?  that way I can refincance my car in about 6 months...  does any of this make sense?  I am really at a loss...   

Thank you in advance.  

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Where to begin

A debt collector is permitted under FDCPA 808(1) to add interest or other amounts to the debt balance provided the original account agreement with the creditor/business specfically authorized such amounts or are otherwise permitted by law.  Thus, the debt amount is usually not frozen once the debt becomes delinquent and the account is otherwise closed.   What does your original account agreement authorize for continued accrual of interest or other delinquency fees?

As for paying the delinquent debts, many factors should first be considered before begiing payments.

You may wish to offer a PFD or a settlement for less.

A first consideration is the age of the debt and the SOL in your state.

How old are the debts, as represented by the date of your first delinquency, and what is the SOL on the dbt in your state?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.